Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philosofairy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 10:50 AM
    How can I claim my dads ashes?
    My dad was cremated 8 yrs ago, my sister signed the forms and the ashes are still at the funeral parlour. My sisters do not want them nor do they wish for me to have them as we haven't spoken for some time. The funeral parlour won't issue them to me without a court order/solicitors letter or permission from my sister. I'm on benefits and am not sure can I get legal aid for this? My dads sister and my cousin and myself wish to bury dads ashes and have closure. I am very upset about this and need closure and a place to visit to remember him by. My sisters went to graceland on holiday instead of burying his ashes like we asked for but they told me they don't want them. Solicitors have never heard of such a problem but I do have some looking for me to see if there is a loophole but what can I do I'm deeply stressed. I know that if my sister got wind that I was trying to collect them she would get them out of spite and sprinkle them somewhere and not tell me where. I just want somewhere to visit to feel I can say goodbye.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2007, 11:09 AM
    You will have to file suit on behalf of you and your sister. The first step is getting an injunction to be served on the funeral home preventing them from turning over the ashes until the court has ruled.

You should be able to get a court clerk to help you fill out the forms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who has the legal rights to parents ashes? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question requarding my fathers ashes. In 1999 my father passed away, At the time of his death he was not married. He had a live in girl friend of 12 years. I don't know if Philadelphia is a common law state or not. My dad had three daughters. Two from his first marriage and one from his...

Father's Ashes ! [ 1 Answers ]

I am a Minor, I am 15 years of age. My father passed away on July 3rd, 2003. My father, was cremated and my grandmother (his mother) has them. I supposed their must be some type of law for a mans own children to have a part of him, he is the man who raised me and my 19 year old brother. Please help...

Dispersing ashes on lawn [ 2 Answers ]

I burn my yard waste after pruning in late winter in a 55 gallon drum. Will spreading the ashes over my lawn hurt my tall fescue grass?

Human Ashes Analysis [ 1 Answers ]

My father died recently and was cremated the two days after. Although he was relatively old (80 years) he was in good heath and his death was very unexpected. At the time we didn't think much of it... that is until we were told, by his wife, that he left a will with her as the main beneficiary. She...

View more questions Search