Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A4Effort Posts: 486, Reputation: 35

Aug 21, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Fizzling friendship. Need advice.
    Hello everyone,

I recently have been having lots of trouble saving a friendship that is falling apart. I will try to keep it short and simple. My friend and I have been best friends since the beginning of high school. We did basically everything together and hung out all the time. We had similar interests, etc... College came and we separated a little bit. We went to the same school but had different group of friends for the most part. Things were great until the last year. My friend started trying out all the hobbies I was doing. I was happy for him since I really enjoyed photography, etc..

Well, he started to talk about me behind my back to my other friends. Luckily, those friends approached me and told me the things he was saying. I confronted him about the subject and basically told him if he has an issue with me to approach me directly and I would love to talk it out. Ever since I things have been shaky. He never apologized and we stopped hanging out. I tried to invite him a bunch of times but he never came. He stopped inviting me too. Here is the part that aggravates me a lot. I have been a photographer for years and have done everything from working for a newspaper to working with professional models. My friend started copying everything I do. I joined a competition and the next day he did too. My pictures gets posted in the newspaper and he does the same thing. I do a model shoot and next week he asks a friend to do the same. This is just one area where I think he is emulating me. He even started to dress like me. I am starting to get mad because he always does what I do. He is not confrontational and every time I brought up the subject he went straight into denial and was very immature.

I don't know what to do. Am I being paranoid and unreasonable? I do not want to be his friend anymore but I am constantly bothered with how he "copies" me. Am I at fault? If so how do I change? Also, how can I learn to deal with these feelings and not be bothered?

Thank you everyone!
    A4Effort Posts: 486, Reputation: 35

Aug 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
    I apologize for my poor English. I tend to write first and edit later. For some reason, I cannot find a way to edit my post.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Hello there,long time no see-hope you're well.

Regarding your question I think you do the NC thing ,as in ignore and accept that his problems aren't yours.

Don't let people's bad behaviour get to you.

You know who you are,he probably doesn't so let it go.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 21, 2011, 04:10 PM
    Do your thing, and let him do his, and leave the rest alone. Why would you be irritated by someone following your example to succeed? They say imitation is the best form of flattery, so don't be put off by his lack of self esteem, or immaturity. Just allow for some space for him to deal with his issues, and say nothing more. Just observe, as you continue to set the pace for your success.

Keep leading by example, not competition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very confused about a Woman Friendship/More/Friendship then more? [ 4 Answers ]

So a few months ago a Woman started to talk to be at work and come to see me everyday, I never really noticed her before but after she took interest in me, I obviously did. All my work colleagues started to say that she likes me and that it is obvious and that I'm blind not to see it, I brushed...

I want to get your advice, to make sure I am giving the correct advice [ 4 Answers ]

A friend of mine emailed me her question, knowing that I have gone through the custody thing before myself. She asked me when she can file abandonment on her sons father. I want to run by you what I am emailing her back to make sure I give her the correct information. Thank you for your help :)

Friendship [ 1 Answers ]

I like a girl,( I can say that she's a friend of mine) Thid girl that I like likes my friend, which is also a friend of hers. Both of me and my friend are friend of this girl. I don't know if he knows that the girl likes him or maybe he knows but he doesn't want to tell me because he knows that...

When a friendship goes to far [ 12 Answers ]

Does anyone think that it's normal for a married man who's 35 to have a frienship with a 20 year old co worker girl for them to text page one another and call each other, also when the wife goes to the job and then she sees his wife and she gets very upset and storms out of the job and slams her...

Friendship is it over? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused:Hey recently my friend moved away to college, she lives a few hours away now so I don't get to see her that much, to top it off we've ended up kissing a few times when we were drunk its happened a lot of times over a space of about 6months, started we just hugged a lot then she stayed at...

View more questions Search