Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eleggatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 09:24 AM
    How do iknow if the baby is mine
    My wife's bloodtype is A+. My bloodtype is RH-. My child is O-. Is the child mine?
    Can a baby have different blood than it's parents?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to ask your question at AMHD.

To clear something up, RH is not a blood type. Blood types are A, O, B, AB,

RH is your Rhesus factor, meaning you are + or -. Your wife's blood type is A with a positive (+) RH factor.

So, your blood type has to have a letter such as the A, O, B or AB.

In answer to your other question, yes, it is possible that the baby has a blood type other than the parents, rarely, but it's possible. Genetics plays a role.

Finally, without a DNA test, it is impossible for us to say one way or another if this child is or is not yours.
    Rich11111 Posts: 99, Reputation: 25

Feb 2, 2010, 07:56 AM

I agree, Blood type alone is not enough to test a child's Paternity, I would advise a DNA test.
    Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Blood type is genetic. To determine paternity you have to go to the cellular level.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 01:10 PM
    Before you go out and accuse your wife of infidelity you really need to know your blood type first. You may be creating a hurricane level problem for no reason.

Has your lady ever given you reason to suspect that the child is not a product of you and your lady's efforts?

What are you going to say to this lady if you are wrong!
    Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    you really need to know your blood type first.
    Exactly, RH- is not a blood type, but is part of the "blood type makeup."
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 03:25 PM

I worked in laboratories for 30+ years and have seen babies quite commonly have different blood types than their parent.

Each person's blood is one of four major types: A, B, AB, or O. Blood types are determined by the types of antigens on the blood cells. Antigens are proteins on the surface of blood cells that can cause a response from the immune system.

The Rh factor is a type of protein on the surface of red blood cells. Most people (about 85%) are Rh+ (positive) like your wife. The remaining 15% of our population do not have the Rh factor so they are Rh-(negative) like you and your baby. Since your wife is Rh+ (positive), the baby's father has to be Rh-(negative) like you, so that's an encouraging sign.

Relax... It's very possible that the baby is yours, but only a DNA test can tell you with 99%+ certainty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I know baby is mine [ 5 Answers ]

She is telling me she is 16 weeks so working back makes it the 4th of August I did not have sex with here till the first time on the 11th of August how do I wok it out can it be mine

Baby not mine? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I had a trial separation, since we have gotten back together we have found out she is pregnant. Her period started on th 25th of September and she is very irregular going from 28 days up to nearly 39 days. We had sex on the 18th of October and since we have sorted our marriage out she...

How do I know if the baby is mine [ 10 Answers ]

I was in a relationship for approx 3 months, which unfortunately ended 25/12/08. I have just found out that my ex-girlfriend is now pregnant. We have talked about how far she thinks she is gone and she seems to think the baby isn't mine as she had a period after the last time we slept together (...

How do I know if the baby is mine [ 3 Answers ]

:( how do I know if the baby is mine

How do I know the baby is mine? [ 6 Answers ]

I had sex for the first time with my girlfriend 12/21/06 while she was on her period. She got her period 1 day before (12/20/06). She tells me the last time she had sex was 12/1/06 with a different partner. My questions are 1. If the baby is mine, how many weeks should the baby be? She tells me 4...

View more questions Search