I am a balding guy, will 'pretty' girls avoid me?

Asked Mar 13, 2007, 01:29 AM ó 17 Answers
    Ok. I have a question that most of you will probably laugh at because it is pretty superficial. Anyway, now that I'm in the dating scene after my relationship ended two months ago, I'm very worried!

I'm 28 and losing my hair at a rapid pace! Now let me give you a little background before I pose my question. I've always been an above average looking guy with a good sense of humor and have never really had trouble finding girls to date.

I usually date pretty girls by most people's standards and I am pretty picky. My worry is this: As bad and superficial as this sounds I feel like I'm never going to be able to date another good looking woman again because of my hair loss. Keep in mind however that I now shave it very close so it actually looks pretty good. I've been blessed with a very round head, which bodes well for the shaved look.

Its weird, when I wear a baseball hat and the girls don't know I'm losing my hair, I have no problem talking and gaining their interest. However, if I'm at a wedding or something where I can't wear a hat, the girls seem to shy away.

I've just lost a lot of confidence from this. I know a lot of the responses I will get will say, "if a girl cares that much about your hair, she isn't worth your time." I realize this, however, it does not change my taste in women.

Like I said, I usually go after the cute ones. I don't think bald is cute to the cute ones if you catch my drift.

So my question is do good looking women give bald guys the time of day? I just felt like before this hair loss if I went up to a girl, I had a great shot. Now I feel like if there is a guy talking to her at a bar, and I walk up, she's going to be like, "dude you have no hair, get the hell out of here!"

Now I realize a girl would most likely not treat me that bad, but you get the picture. I'm just very worried.

Girls, can you give me some advice. BE brutaly honest, don't spare my feelings please. How does a bald guy compete in this gel-haired, spikey-haired dating world?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by CliffARobinson; Aug 17, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
    Mommy2gio's Avatar
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

#2

Mar 13, 2007, 02:01 AM
    They probably shy away from you because they can sense that your insecure where as you are probably more confident when you are wearing a hat. Honestly I like when my husband shaves his head(well cuts it so short it looks bald). It's kind of funny cause I am not worried about what he will look like when he's old and bald because I already know.lol
    Just be confident and women will flock to that not your hairstyle.
    JoeCanada76's Avatar
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,667, Reputation: 1706

#3

Mar 13, 2007, 03:05 AM
    If you keep it neat and shaved you have nothing to worry about. Many Many women find baldness in a man actually a turn on.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,727, Reputation: 7217

#4

Mar 13, 2007, 07:23 AM

It is all in how you present yourself, while of course a few very shallow girls will not want a person with less hair but at least you have weeded them out before you waste your time on them.

The issue is what you think about yourself and you having bought into this I have to look 20 and buff to be popular.
    Synnen's Avatar
    Synnen Posts: 7,864, Reputation: 2413

#5

Mar 13, 2007, 07:38 AM

My husband shaves his head and I LOVE it. I keep trying to convince my best friend (also male) to keep his head shaved too.

I love the look!

However... I'm probably not the kind of girl that you would care about anyway... I'm not "cute" by society's standards (in other words, I don't wear a size 6, have perky boobs, or worry about what my hair and makeup look like).

If you're going to be superficial about it, then yes, you're probably going to get shot down more often than you used to be. Part of that is loss of confidence, yes, but part of it is that the type of girl you are describing is also oftentimes superficial.
    tinsign's Avatar
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

#6

Mar 13, 2007, 07:43 AM
    There are a lot of bald guys that I think are very handsome and yes sexy also. Bet if you lose that insecurity when you don't have a hat on they be eyeing you.
    Also lose the type that just judge on appearances because trust me those women are not what you truly want in the long run.
    ghost56's Avatar
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

#7

Mar 13, 2007, 08:22 AM
    I think there are many sexy good looking bald guys. You only need to look at some of the famous guys who are bald, many actuall shave their hair off because it ca look so good. Stop worrying about what you think and be proud of how you look.
    valinors_sorrow's Avatar
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653

#8

Mar 13, 2007, 08:32 AM
    I think the adage "Its not what you've got but how you wear it" counts here.

I am married to someone with a lovely head of hair but he has the bad skin of untreated teenage acne. He still turns heads. He looks a great deal like Ray Liotta (who also has bad skin).

I never dated someone bald or with a shaved head (I was off the market before that style went mainstream) but a man with a healthy lifestyle, great personality and a decent body, it honestly wouldn't slow me down one bit... if I were single.
    freebird1981's Avatar
    freebird1981 Posts: 30, Reputation: 5

#9

Mar 14, 2007, 01:45 AM
    If my partner went bald (and it's a possability as his dad is) there is no way it would change a thing for me,I didn't fall for his hair lol,there's much more to it, as long as you have confidence it shouldn't matter,and if the girls you are interested in don't want to know in my opinion they arnt right for you to start with
    earl237's Avatar
    earl237 Posts: 514, Reputation: 57
    Senior Member

#10

Jul 12, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Just act confident and women will not be turned off. Sean Connery was voted world's sexiest man at 59 and he went bald very young.

I am pretty confused about a guy friend whom I like [ 2 Answers ]

OK, so I'll start by saying I am a 15 year old girl, and I currently have no idea what I'm looking for, only that I am not ready to be intimate with a boy. So, there's this boy who I've been friends with for a couple of months. We started talking on Facebook Chat about 2 weeks ago, and he asked...

I dated a guy for 5 months after he pursued me pretty aggressively. [ 6 Answers ]

From Patricia: I dated a guy for 5 months after he pursued me pretty aggressively. At first, things were great. We laughed all the time. We loved being together. He spoke often about the future--not in serious terms but about trips we should take or meeting each other's friends, things like that. I...

I've been dating a really nice guy, and am pretty sure I'm pregnant. [ 40 Answers ]

Iíve been dating a really nice guy for the last two months and am pretty sure Iím pregnant, but have no idea how to tell him. Hereís a little bit of history. Five years ago, his wife left him and moved in with another guy. They were separated and we started hanging out together. It wasnít a...

Mixed signals from this girl. Do all pretty girls love to play games? [ 2 Answers ]

This girl has sent me mixed signals for awhile. I met her in business school a few months ago (she was 1st yr, I was 2nd yr) and I helped her with career interview prep. Her body language was always a little innocent, nervous and curious about me, but she did mention her BF (who lives in a...

Why Women Should Avoid a Girls Night Out After They Are Married! [ 5 Answers ]

WHY WOMEN SHOULD AVOID A GIRLS NIGHT OUT AFTER THEY'RE MARRIED! The other night I was invited out for a night with "the girls." I told my Husband that I would be home by midnight , "I promise!" Well, the hours passed and the margaritas went down WAY too easy. Around 3:00 A.m. a bit loaded, I...