Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    President Rerun is set to announce a "new" proposal to raise taxes on those making $250,000 or more.
    Hello again, Steve:

Couple things... The Bush tax cuts are going to expire. So, either EVERYBODY gets a tax increase, or only those who have done really, REALLY well in the past few years will get one. It's kind of a no brainer for me.

However, in the name of BIPARTISANSHIP, I'm willing to give the "job creators" a tax break... In fact, I'd be quite generous in my tax breakage IF it was tied to ACTUAL job creation. We can do that with tax credits..

What do Chinese laundry's say?? No job creation - no tax breaky.. What?? You want to give 'em ALL a tax break and HOPE?? Dudes.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:04 AM
    Well sir, it worked really well for stimulus funds, especially green sector job creation.

If that were on the table we could kick it around but what's on the table is Obama's "third time is a charm" rerun. How's that going to work out?

Obama has created a stifling economic atmosphere and people are going to hold back as long as he perpetuates the uncertainty. This rerun of a rerun isn't going to help anything, it's just more class warfare and we deserve better.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:16 AM
    Obama has created a stifling economic atmosphere and people are going to hold back as long as he perpetuates the uncertainty.
    Hello again, Steve:

We've been here before... Our economy WAITS for no man. If I can't get my product OUT the door TODAY, and I "hold back" hiring or investing in a new factory because I'm "uncertain", my customers will go SOMEPLACE else. That is a fact of life here on the front lines.

This word "uncertainty" is a creation of Frank Luntz - just like he's telling the wingers in congress to NEVER say free market health care, but call it "patient centered care", whatever the hell that means..

I thought you right wingers KNEW how the economy works... Guess not, huh? First you tell us that the banks gave away ALL their money because Barney Frank told them too, and NOW you tell us that businessmen are sitting on their haunches WATCHING their companies disintegrate, all the while screaming hysterically about the sky falling... Dude.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Keep listening to rich guys hollering about they need more money, and see if you end up with any. I mean we see what they do with what Bush and the republicans have given them already, they stashed it away for THEIR kids, and created jobs oversas.

What do you think they will do with even more? You got it, send it to the Burmuda triangle, never to be seen again!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 08:45 AM
    And I knew you were going there, but if customers are holding onto their wallets you won't need to get anything out.

There's no way for instance, that I'll be in the market for a new car any time soon. And, as much as I may want some things, I'm thinking twice a lot more than 5 years ago and I'm far from alone. Consumer confidence just isn't there and class warfare isn't going to make that any better.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 09:44 AM
    I'm surprised that the President isn't following the Clintoon /Corzine model... keep the current tax rates until he wins in November... Then at the beginning of his term ,he can go on national TV and say he tried really really really really really really hard ,but he can't find a way out of the current Obama" recovery" without raising taxes.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 11:29 AM
    He does that by saying we need to extend the tax cuts for those under $250k right now, and we can talk about the others later.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 02:42 PM
    Speaking of taxes...

Denise Rich, the wealthy socialite and former wife of pardoned billionaire trader Marc Rich, has given up her U.S. citizenship - and, with it, much of her U.S. tax bill.

Rich, 68, a Grammy-nominated songwriter and glossy figure in Democratic and European royalty circles, renounced her American passport in November, according to her lawyer.

Her maiden name, Denise Eisenberg, appeared in the Federal Register on April 30 in a quarterly list of Americans who renounced their U.S. citizenship and permanent residents who handed in their green cards.

By dumping her U.S. passport, Rich likely will save tens of millions of dollars or more in U.S. taxes over the long haul, tax lawyers say.
    Those darn rich Repub... uh, Democrats just keep finding ways to avoid paying their fair share. But then that's the normal reaction when you raise taxes, people (and businesses) flee for friendlier confines. I think we've said that already.
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Yup all you need to recall is John Kerry's docking of his yacht .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 03:40 PM
    That's all right Europe needs a boost anyway, if they don't flee to Europe they will flee to the Cayman Islands. Do you really think the rich need to leave the country to avoid tax?
    Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 09:47 PM
    Geez guys don't ruin it. We have a consensus. Every body is for a tax cut for 98% of the population, lets go with it. But watch republicans balk at it, and hold the tax cut hostage unless rich guys get one too! That's what they always do!

Even though EVERYBODY gets a tax cut for the first $250,000, as opposed to Romney's 5 trillion dollar budget buster. So much for wanting to cut the debt/deficit. They just want to cut the middle class because lets be real, rich guys don't seem to need customers to make money. They have hall street.

But we all know congress is on vacation until 2013, so its all talk for now any way.

This is a better story to follow,

http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-2...state-caucuses

The New Republican party, with Mitt as its leader. What if he doesn't win in Nebraska Saturday?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 05:17 AM
    Maryland instituted a "millionaires tax " in 2007 that expired in 2010 . In the 3 years it was in effect ,31,000 fled the state ,and the state lost $1.7 billion in lost tax revenues.
    This is not just a one state trend .
    Over the past decade, states without an income tax have seen 58% higher population growth than the national average, and more than double the growth of states with the highest income tax rates. What this means for your state of Texas is that you now have 4 new Congressional seats . My State of NY lost 2 as people flee our high tax rate.
    I love my state . But when the time comes ,I will flee too. I certainly will not retire here . The property taxes alone is like paying an additional rent on my home on top of the mortgage.

So yeah ,keep piling it on the rich... Who is John Galt ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    That's all right Europe needs a boost anyway, if they don't flee to Europe they will flee to the Cayman Islands.
    You mean flee from Europe, like the French are about to do.

Do you really think the rich need to leave the country to avoid tax?
    Ask Denise Rich. Or as tom reminded, just park your yacht in another state.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
    1,800 Americans renounced citizenship last year .That's a record number since the IRS began publishing a list in 1998. It's 8x more than in 2008, and more than the total for 2007, 2008 and 2009 combined.

This year Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin renounced too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Geez guys don't ruin it. We have a consensus. Every body is for a tax cut for 98% of the population, lets go with it. But watch republicans balk at it, and hold the tax cut hostage unless rich guys get one too!! Thats what they always do!.
    I've already pointed out that Democrats did not support this idea the first two times. Schumer and Pelosi have already come out again for extending the tax cuts for those making up to a million. You keep blaming it all on Republican obstruction and you have to admit, Obama's tax proposals like his budgets are DOA with Dems, too.
    Expert

Jul 10, 2012, 07:18 AM
    Unlike lock step republicans, democrats are free to express different opinions to their party leaders. So I doubt if it came to a vote Pelosi, and Shimmer would vote against it.

You are right though, it will never get through the house, or senate as long as republicans obstruct it, and hold it hostage for the bogus "job creators", since it's the rights goal to kill progress, and extract wealth.

After all, "the job creators" have lost no wealth, and have thrived greatly while most other have and are still struggling through a recession, and a sluggish recovery. And its sluggish because the fat "job creators" are not being motivated to help push the car out of the ditch. Instead, the fat guys sit in the front and only more money can move them.

While I am on the subject, lets be clear the role republican state governors have played in destroying the middle class, shedding teachers, firefighters, and police and highway workers, while cutting state taxes for those same rich guys who promise jobs, but deliver nothing.

Whose really kicking the middle class in the gut?
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 07:25 AM
    Hello again,

I'm a job creator.. I'm just waiting for my taxes to go down before I HIRE a bunch of people...

??

Do you right wingers know how STUPID that sounds??

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

I'm a job creator.. I'm just waiting for my taxes to go down before I HIRE a bunch of people...

?????

Do you right wingers know how STUPID that sounds????

excon
    It does, but I don't hear anyone saying that.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Unlike lock step republicans, democrats are free to express different opinions to their party leaders. So I doubt if it came to a vote Pelosi, and Shimmer would vote against it.

You are right though, it will never get thru the house, or senate as long as republicans obstruct it, and hold it hostage for the bogus "job creators", since its the rights goal to kill progress, and extract wealth.

After all, "the job creators" have lost no wealth, and have thrived greatly while most other have and are still struggling thru a recession, and a sluggish recovery. And its sluggish because the fat "job creators" are not being motivated to help push the car out of the ditch. Instead, the fat guys sit in the front and only more money can move them.

While I am on the subject, lets be clear the role republican state governors have played in destroying the middle class, shedding teachers, firefighters, and police and highway workers, while cutting state taxes for those same rich guys who promise jobs, but deliver nothing.

Whose really kicking the middle class in the gut?
    Tal, you sound like a broken record.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
    It does, but I don't hear anyone saying that.
    Hello again, Steve:

Okee doakee, then. How about THIS?

I'm UNCERTAIN about the future so I'm NOT going to HIRE anybody. Does it matter whether I NEED to hire somebody or not?? Nahhh, uncertainty is the key??

Do you know how stupid THAT sounds?

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search