Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Funny how you never see the irony in your posts.
    Explain it to me, I'm open to it.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Does he not have the right to an opinion?
    Sure, and he expresses it often. I was just pointing out him telling us we're wrong - while making the point that most religious people tell others they're wrong.

I don't understand why you're upset about this.
    Pointing out the irony in NK's posts means I'm upset about this? LOL!
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Dec 9, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Those numbers notwithstanding, religion is on its way out, thank god.

excon
    That's what Voltaire thought.

He was wrong.

Dec 9, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    There is no god and the sky is indeed not falling. Feel free to vent your car's exhaust into your house, I'm sure you're "creator" will take care to make all things right.
    American cities have cleaner air today than they did 40 years ago. This in spite of there being many more automobiles than 40 years ago.

And we did not destroy the economy to do that.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 10:15 AM

Sure, and he expresses it often. I was just pointing out him telling us we're wrong - while making the point that most religious people tell others they're wrong.
    We all express our beliefs often, because they're our beliefs. The Christians quote the bible left right and center to prove that their beliefs are valid. Those of us that aren't Christian have the same right to express our beliefs and why we feel they're valid.

Pointing out the irony in NK's posts means I'm upset about this? LOL!
    I guess you're not upset. Perhaps you're just trying to goad him into a confrontation.

Dec 9, 2009, 10:26 AM
    Hello gal:

Surrender liberties??? SURRENDER LIBERTIES???? Really??? That's what we're GOING to do??????

We have NO liberties LEFT after the dufus TOOK them. Do you want me to list them for you??? No? It's ok, I'll do it for ME.

Bush took away our right to Habeas Corpus. It's the FOUNDATION of our legal system.... It's what the FIFTH Amendment to the Constitution is about. Bush took away your right to be FREE from the government reading your private email or listening to your phone calls. That's what the FOURTH Amendment is all about.. Certainly, he took away your right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment. That's what the SIXTH Amendment is all about... The dufus also took your tax money and spent in on RELIGIONS groups, and that shattered the FIRST Amendment to the Constitution...

No, I'm NOT done... But that should keep you busy for a while...

excon
    Why is everything Bush's fault?

Surely you know enough history to know about Woodrow Wilson and the Federal Reserve Act, whereby we have been ripped off ever since by a system that saddles us with both principal and interest by borrowing money into circulation instead of the government issuing it into circulation.

Surely you know that the Democrats set up the great Ponzi scheme known as Social Security, which is now bankrupt because of another Democrat, Lyndon Johnson, who put the SS trust funds into the general funds where it was promptly spent on a no-win war against poverty.

By the way, that is a Democrat war that has been going on a lot more than 8 years, and no exit strategy in sight.

And now, If Obama has his way, you will lose a lot of choice about your health care, and will have to pay exorbitant amounts for your energy because of cap and tax.

Dream on. Continue to blame everything on Bush.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2009, 10:29 AM
    We all express our beliefs often, because they're our beliefs. The Christians quote the bible left right and center to prove that their beliefs are valid. Those of us that aren't Christian have the same right to express our beliefs and why we feel they're valid.
    Can't say that I've ever believed otherwise, not need to justify that with me.

I guess you're not upset. Perhaps you're just trying to goad him into a confrontation.
    I have a great put down here but I'll be nice to him. I was merely pointing out an exaggeration of his and noting the irony in his posts. No need to read anything else into it.

Dec 9, 2009, 10:31 AM
    [QUOTE=NeedKarma;2122130]There is no god and the sky is indeed not falling. QUOTE]

Do you believe that CO2 is a gas that must be reduced? Do you believe that the world must take itself back to 18th century modes of living, giving up our automobiles, central air conditioning, and other energy using amenities.

If you do, then you DO think the sky is falling.

Dec 9, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Exy, if I had the answers then I'd be in charge. ;)

If there is a God then he's the only one with the answers, sadly he's not sharing those answers with the rest of us. I wonder why that is? Could it be that he, a God, doesn't really care about the little ant farm he built?

;)
    He already gave us the answers.
    Pets Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    He already gave us the answers.
    He as in God?

That's your belief, not mine.

I don't want to get into the same fight again and again and again. We never accomplish anything when we talk about our beliefs. Not you and me, but Christians versus the rest of us. We just go around in circles until the thread is closed.

I respect your right to believe in the God of the bible.

Please respect my right to follow my own beliefs which are very different from yours.

I'm out of here. This will only lead to a headache.

Good luck with your fight, I mean discussion. :rolleyes:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 10:46 AM
    Why is everything Bush's fault?
    Hello gal:

Let's see if we can keep the argument in one straight line...

I didn't say EVERYTHING is Bush's fault.. You said we'd LOSE liberties under Obama.. I just mentioned the liberties we lost under Bush. It's no more difficult than that.

Do I think, that NO MATTER which administration is in power, that my Constitutional rights have remained intact? I do not. I don't think the Democrats look out for 'em any better than you folks do.

excon

Dec 9, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Hello gal:

Let's see if we can keep the argument in one straight line...

I didn't say EVERYTHING is Bush's fault.. You said we'd LOSE liberties under Obama.. I just mentioned the liberties we lost under Bush. It's no more difficult than that.

Do I think, that NO MATTER which administration is in power, that my Constitutional rights have remained intact? I do not. I don't think the Democrats look out for 'em any better than you folks do.

excon
    Point taken.

Conservatives and Republicans are not necessarily the same thing.

I doubt if it will work, but we DO need a third party.

BTW, did you see a late poll that shows Palin's approval rating to be within 1% of Obama's?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 11:12 AM
    BTW, did you see a late poll that shows Palin's approval rating to be within 1% of Obama's?
    Hello again, gal:

I did not. I DID predict that Sarah Palin would be our next president IF the Democrats failed to pass a public option. And, that's exactly what the Democrats did.

Obama has managed to do the unthinkable... He's pissed off EVERYBODY including me.

Since Huckabee folded, the right wing of the party is available to Sarah. As a matter of fact, that wing is the ONLY wing that has it together. Yes, I think she can win.

Do I think that would be good? No.

excon
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 9, 2009, 07:23 PM

Galv,

I think when someone places more faith and value in material things of this world, like money and possessions, then you get the current culture of overconsumption.

Regardless, when one dies, you can't take it with you. A mansion or BMW or huge bank account can't eulogize you. But if one helps others, makes others smile and laugh, improves the lives of others - I think these relationships are for eternity.

G&P
    Pets Expert

Dec 9, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Galv,

I think when someone places more faith and value in material things of this world, like money and possessions, then you get the current culture of overconsumption.

Regardless, when one dies, you can't take it with you. A mansion or BMW or huge bank account can't eulogize you. But if one helps others, makes others smile and laugh, improves the lives of others - I think these relationships are for eternity.

G&P
    I just want to point out that it doesn't take a faith in God to help others and improve their lives.
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post

Totally agree. Of course this happens whether you are religious or not.

Dec 10, 2009, 05:16 PM

I have to wonder how many of you know what I mean when I use the term "biblical world veiw".

Do you?
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2009, 05:37 PM
    I have to wonder how many of you know what I mean when I use the term "biblical world veiw".

Do you?
    Well considering that it's the first time you use it then perhaps you should explain it.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2009, 06:27 PM

Do you?
    Even though I am a Christian I'm not sure what part of the Bible you are referring to, The part that says God so loved the world and sent his only son or the part that says it was so evil he destroyed it or the part that says as it was in the days of Noah so it will be. My interpretation of a biblical world view is the world is evil and liable to destruction. Is this your meaning also?

Dec 10, 2009, 09:24 PM

What I mean is that God is in control of the big picture and that climate is not part of man's responsibility.

Man was given oversight of the day to day affairs, and he is responsiblefor his own problems.

Property rights are sacred as are rights of inheritance.

We are supposed to treat our fellow man in the manner we wish to be treated. If this were followed, there would be no oppression of the weaker among us, whether by politicians, dictators, or CEO's.

But as it relates to this thread, it means that those who attempt to defraud the public with rigged information for their own personal gain are nothing more than predators.
    They hope to make everyone else provide them with great wealth and power.

Definitely not a biblical world view.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ideal culture vs. Real culture [ 5 Answers ]

How does ideal culture differ from real culture in U.S. society from other countries?

Godless marriages [ 40 Answers ]

Today's gospel lesson... 2. And some Pharisees came up to Him, testing Him, and began to question Him whether it was lawful for a man to divorce a wife. 3. And He answered and said to them, "What did Moses command you?" 4. And they said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of...

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counter culture in referen [ 1 Answers ]

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counterculture in reference to the 1960s, was there one counter culture or were there may different counter cultures, what were the characteristics of the counter movements, was there a straightforward distinction between mainstream culture...

In a world of zero transportation costs, no trade barriers, and nontrivial difference [ 1 Answers ]

In a world of zero transportation costs, no trade barriers, and nontrivial differences between nations with regard to factor conditions, firms must expand internationally if they are to survive. Discuss.

Accounting Sales Price Variable Material Costs Fixed Monthly Costs [ 0 Answers ]

I have no clue where to begen with this, I could use some help! Its due on Friday night and the teacher as done nothing to help here. I'm totally lost. The individual portion of this assignment is for each person to produce his/her own solution to the following. Claire’s Antiques has fixed cost...

View more questions Search