Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Your link is dead so I don't kow what the content is there. But we have what you call "localism" here in Canada too. It's to prevent the ClearChannels of the world from making generic content for the entire country and dropping the local flovour of any community. We've already seen that with FM radio where CC has basically a monopoly control over content.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Your link is dead
    Go to this page and click on the pdf report :The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio

Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 06:55 AM
    But we have what you call "localism" here in Canada too.
    That's all well and good but his clear intent is not to promote local flovour of any community ; but to penalize stations that air conservative talk radio.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 1, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    In her case the technology had nothing to do with it - it was the content, those two words.

And then there's this:
    There's Just No Way Sarah Palin's Writing Her Facebook Notes - sarah palin - Gawker

If the internet and social networking sites were not available, I doubt if CNN, NBC, ABC, or CBS would be giving Palin any kind of voice to say those two words.

I don't think Ron Paul would have been as widely known had it not been for the internet and You Tube.

Which is just the point, Palin and Paul may have limited appeal, but they speak for those who agree with them. The people want to hear them. This is not the heads of the Democratic or Republican parties deciding our choices and our platform from top to bottom. The people at the bottom are letting those on top know how they feel.

G&P

G&P
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    If the internet and social networking sites were not availble, I doubt if CNN, NBC, ABC, or CBS would be giving Palin any kind of voice to say those two words.
    First of all she didn't coin those words, she repeated what she read elsewhere. And no the media did not need to report that because it was erroneous to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    I don't think Ron Paul would have been as widely known had it not been for the internet and You Tube.
    Correct there, he had an incredible internet following, people championed their guy's cause across the web.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 1, 2009, 10:31 AM
    First of all she didn't coin those words, she repeated what she read elsewhere. And no the media did not need to report that because it was erroneous to begin with.
    So if it wasn't hers, ans she wasn't the first person to say it, why is everyone on the left all over her for having said it?

If she ain't all that important, why is everything she says so important that the lefitsts in the MSM have to have a week long bash-fest to counter it?

Answer: they MSM and the Left are trying to MAKE her into a leader for the Right because right now they can't fight the asymmetrical political war. They don't have anyone to attack in the "leadership" of the grass-roots Right, so they need to CREATE someone to be a target for them.

The Left is using the equivalent of the "Bush Doctrine". The Bush Doctrine basically said that any government that supports terrorism is a legitimate target in the War on Terror. The idea was that we can't fight against al-Qaeda in a traditional war, for the reasons that I described in the OP. So we needed to CREATE a target that we could fight on those terms. He designated who the "leadership" or the "support structure" of the terrorists was. Whether you agree with Bush's targets or not, that was the tactic he used.

The Left is using the same tactic now: they are trying to name our leaders for us. First it was Rush. Then it was Palin. The idea is to give their "troops" a target to lash out at.

Problem is that Rush and Palin aren't the real leadership of the Conservative grass roots and aren't involved in the grass roots movement. They are merely sypathetic compatriots.

Frankly, Bush was better at choosing his "targets" of the Bush Doctrine than the leftists seem to be. At least there were real terrorists that gathered in Iraq to fight us... real targets to eliminate. The left is just antagonizing an angry populace within their own area of influence, and losing that influence as a result.

Elliot
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:41 AM
    Gee, like no one else we know would do that. Heck, Obama's campaign themes were straight out of Alinsky's book... and just watch what happens when TOTUS betrays him.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    Answer: they MSM and the Left are trying to MAKE her into a leader for the Right because right now they can't fight the assymetrical political war. They don't have anyone to attack in the "leadership" of the grass-roots Right, so they need to CREATE someone to be a target for them.
    So the crazy leftists are behind these?

Sarah Palin for President
    Draft Sarah Palin For President 2012
    The Fix - Palin for President (in 2012)
    Sarah Palin for President

Seems like a grassroots movement!
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:54 AM
    I want to get back to Mark Loyd because I'm sure the statist response to the asymetrical politics will be the government asserting control on the networks employed in it.

Loyd wrote in his book (and remember his thesis that communications media was surrendered to corporate interests ) “Citizen access to popular information has been undermined by bad political decisions,” .... “These decisions date back to the Jacksonian Democrats' refusal to allow the Post Office to continue to operate the telegraph service.”

And

“Neither Progressive era reforms nor new communications technologies have been able to correct the problems resulting from government abdication of a responsibility to advance the equal capability of citizen discourse,” .

This of course is nonsense . What he proposes in the gvt control of the media is for the gvt to control and manage the message . It has nothing to do with equal access or the ability to advance discourse.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    What he proposes in the gvt control of the media is for the gvt to control and manage the message .
    Like has been done with Fox News for years?

Sep 1, 2009, 10:59 AM
    No. Palin has her own ambissions too. And she has followers as well.

But when the Leftists start making her out to be THE political leader of the right, that's THEIR doing, not hers.

Sep 1, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Like has been done with Fox News for years?
    The government controls Fox News? Is that what you are saying?

What color is the sky on your planet?
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 11:09 AM
    The government controls Fox News? Is that what you are saying?

What color is the sky on your planet?
    Maybe not controls but they get fed their talking points from the political conservatives.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 11:11 AM

I disagree ;but regardless... Fox news is independent and free to broadcast whatever content they choose. Lloyd would change that .
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I disagree ;but regardless... Fox news is independent and free to broadcast whatever content they choose.
    Really?

On MSNBC’s Hardball last night, host Chris Matthews asked former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan if he saw “FOX television as a tool” to get the White House’s “message out” while he was in the Bush administration. “Certainly there were commentators and other, pundits at FOX News, that were useful to the White House,” replied McClellan, adding that they were given “talking points.”

Making a distinction between journalists like Brit Hume and commentators like Sean Hannity and Bill O’Reilly, McClellan admitted that “certainly” the White House used Fox News talking heads as “spokespeople” with “a script”:

MATTHEWS: So, you wouldn’t use Brit Hume to sell stuff for them, but you’d use some of the nighttime guys?

MCCLELLAN: Yeah, I would separate that out, and certainly I, you know, they’ll say, that’s because they agree with those views in the White House.

MATTHEWS: Well, they didn’t need a script though, did they?

MCCLELLAN: No, well, probably not.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Duh at least the troll had the integrity to distinguish between the news content and the commentators.

Again tell me how the WH feeding talking points is the equivalent of legislating and controlling the content ? FOx was free to disregard their memos no ?

Sep 1, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Maybe not controls but they get fed their talking points from the political conservatives.
    First of all, even if that were true, it's a whole lot different from what you said which is that they are GOVERNMENT CONTROLLED.

Big difference.

I don't think that CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, etc. are government-controlled in the despotic sense. I DO think that they are sypathetic to the government and have therefore become enmeshed with the government in a way that is politically unhealthy for any country. Such enmeshment can BECOME government control over time. It ain't there yet, but it could be.

Fox ain't enmeshed with the government, and all you have to do is compare the statements of Fox News with the statements and positions of the Obama government.

Now... does this constitute an attempt by government (or at least a government official) to control of the media? Or at least bully it?

SHERMAN FREDERICK: Enough is enough, Harry - Opinion - ReviewJournal.com

Elliot
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Fox ain't enmeshed with the government, and all you have to do is compare the statements of Fox News with the statements and positions of the Obama government.
    Wait a minute, you want people to think that because Fox News doesn't support the Obama government then they are not "enmeshed with the government"? Hahahahahahha! You really think everyone else but you is stupid. It was Bush/far-right spokes piece and still is.

Edit to add: yea, that Reid guy is a for what he did/said.

Sep 1, 2009, 01:01 PM
    Wait a minute, you want people to think that because Fox News doesn't support the Obama government then they are not "enmeshed with the government"? Hahahahahahha! You really think everyone else but you is stupid. It was Bush/far-right spokes piece and still is.

And which part of the government is Bush a member of?

Last I heard, the guy is retired.

Even if you assume that Fox is/was a "spokes piece" for Bush, if Bush isn't part of the government, what connection is there between Fox and the government? There's a logical link missing from your chain of connections.

Elliot

Sep 1, 2009, 01:02 PM
    I didn't quite get that... but I can guess what you were trying to say. We are in agreement on this point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VERY asymmetrical breasts [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, am 26 and for as long as I know I've had my left breast much much bigger than my right. One is a 34B, one is a 32C. Why is that? And how do I fix this? I don't know what to do about it and at one point I had become so depressed about it I had to go on antidepressants. I can't be myself,...

Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare [ 2 Answers ]

How do you guys and girls rate call of duty 4? In ways of graphics, and gameplay? :)

A Political Joke from a Non-Political Person, LOL [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... thought this was funny and wanted to share it with all of you... A little boy goes to his dad and asks, "What is politics?" Dad says, "Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I am the head of the family..so call me the President..... Your mother is the administrator of the...

View more questions Search