Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emmykb View Post
    Forgive me if I am wrong but I do believe it is a HIPAA violation to re-distribute medical records obtained from physicians/hospitals/etc. So, if DCF re-released protected health information your doctors sent them, you may have a case.
    Can you cite anything to back that up? HIPAA applies to only "covered entitites. The only way DCF would qualify as a covered entity is if they paying for the coverage.
    emmykb Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Can you cite anything to back that up? HIPAA applies to only "covered entitites. the only way DCF would qualify as a covered entity is if they paying for the coverage.

Not necessarily true.

DCF could fall under the clearinghouse rule "This includes entities that process nonstandard health information they receive from another entity into a standard (i.e., standard electronic format or data content), or vice versa." I'm certain they store their information via electronic record as that is pretty much mandated by now.

After doing a quick Google search it appears as though DCF must abide by HIPAA rules and their employees must complete mandatory training. However, it's Google and you can't believe everything you read.

Either way, divulged information of this nature is a violation of privacy be it on a Federal level or not. I would encourage OP to pursue this. It is a personal safety issue.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 04:30 PM

Whether they have to follow HIPAA they do have their own confidentiality rules and I do not see how they can justify giving the father the mothers personal medical records.

Is her medical records evidence? Evidence of what?
    Wouldn't it have to first be proven that her medical directly effects the custody case.

She is not referring to her kids medical records but hers.
    emmykb Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    whether or not they have to follow HIPAA they do have their own confidentiality rules and I do not see how they can justify giving the father the mothers personal medical records.

is her medical records evidence? Evidence of what??
    Wouldn't it have to first be proven that her medical directly effects the custody case.

She is not refering to her kids medical records but hers.
    I agree with you.

I also got to thinking... you know how they always have you sign a multitude of paperwork, do you think OP signed something allowing disclosure unknowlingly? Did she provide them an authorization to obtain her medical records from her doctor or did she give it to them? Either way, under HIPAA or not, without written consent this information cannot be divuldged.

This is absolutely a violation of the mother's PHI and is a direct threat to her personal safety, given the nature of the relationship between her and her ex. I could urge to to pursue this.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 04:46 PM

I dpn't see why they would have her sign a release for the dad for any legal reason. For their own sneaky agenda they probably would.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2009, 04:59 PM

No DCF would not fall under the Clearinghouse entity. A Clearinghouse entity is a service provided to care providers to convert records into electronic format. This entity covers medical transcribers. DCF does not fall into that category.

DCF was, apparently, given the info, either by subpoena or permission because it was necessary to develop a case plan because of the allegations made. Whether DCF overstepped their bounds and rules by providing the info to the other party is definitely under question. But it would be a very large stretch to consider this a HIPAA violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 2 Answers ]

My step son is double covered with our insurane as secondary. When he's been to the doctor his mother uses her address when she signs him in. When my insurance company received claims from the doctors office, it had her address, and instead of talking to me, mailed the EOB's to her address. When...

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?

Hipaa law violation [ 2 Answers ]

This has to do with a divorce case: wife and husband had to complete drug tests in regards to child custody and parenting time. Wife tested negative and husband tested positive. Wife proceeded to email drug test results of husband to business belonging to Husband's father... including his...

Is this a HIPAA violation [ 8 Answers ]

A friends 24 year old daughter Lola is undergoing chemo treatment for cancer and is parilyezed from the waist down because of complications of West Nile. Lola has been hospitalized quit a lot for the treatments since she was 16. A RN that works nights felt sorry for her because no one came to visit...

HIPAA Violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a federal lawsuit against my employer for discrimination in which I am currently awaiting the summary judgement. Several weeks ago I got hurt not at my place of work but while I was at home. My doctor originally informed me that I could not return to work, and that he would not...

View more questions Search