Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2009, 10:38 AM
    The 1st Amendment and Fire in a crowded theater.
    Hello:

At some point or other, somebody (I don't know who) determined that you don't have a 1st Amendment right to yell fire in a crowded theater. I guess that's because someone did it, and someone got hurt. Then someone went, hmmmmmm. Maybe there's a connection??

So, when someone yells "baby killer", and someone get's hurt, is it a legitimate question to ask if the two events are connected? If it's OK to ask, and of course it is, IS yelling baby killer on the airwaves the same thing as yelling fire in a crowded theater?

You may be surprised at my take on it, but I'll leave that till I have someone to argue with. I'm sure you'll be along...

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2009, 03:56 AM
    The Holmes' Dictum ;which he made in the majority opinion of a terrible ruling (more on that below) ;is that you can't FALSELY yell fire in a crowded theater . If there was a fire in the Theater then the person doing the shouting would be doing a public service.

So when Frank Rich of the NY Slimes makes that comparison it really isn't valid .

Lets say the President or Nancy Pelosi gets on TV and tours the world accusing former President Bush of war crimes ,murder ,torture etc. or Keith Olberman does his daily rants about how evil Bush and Cheney are... and someone then puts one between Bush's eyes . Would it be their fault that a nutjob acted on the inflamatory rhetoric coming from them ?

I would like to point out that O.W. Holmes made this now famous line about "fire in a crowded theater " in a 1919 decision that restricted the rights of draft protesters. Holmes decided it was illegal to distribute anti-draft fliers because it posed a "clear and present danger" to the war effort.(Schenck v United States ) As is so often the case ,SCOTUS got it wrong . It was reversed in 1934( Brandenberg v Ohio). But his misquoted phrase lives on despite it's authoritarian ring when taken out of context .

As a side note ,he also supported forced sterilization in Buck v Bell. Holmes is considered one of the giants of the court but I don't see it.
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 19, 2012, 01:23 AM
    Yelling "Fire" in any crowded place is protected speech, if it is justified when there is an actual fire. If there is no fire and someone yells "Fire"... it would be considered "Reckless Endangerment." When someone creates an action intentionally and knowing, when there is no such danger, causing a response from a crowd that you would have reason to assume panic will be the result and possibly injuries and death, it is reckless and dangerous.

Yelling "Baby killer" across the airwaves, what is the intent? Is it an accusation against someone who supports abortions? Is it against someone who performs abortions? Is it against a mother who allowed an abortion to be performed on her? Is it in reference to a law supporting abortions? Did someone actually kill a born live viable baby from neglect or abuse?

Neither scenario is against freedom of speech unless it is a probable cause for reckless endangerment.

We are allowed freedom while order is being enforced...
    SonofExcon Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2012, 02:05 AM
    Can you give your son a call? Its my freedom of speech
    FirstChair Posts: 179, Reputation: 17

May 21, 2012, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofExcon View Post
    can you give your son a call? Its my freedom of speech
    Oh how cute... "SonofExcon"... I wonder if he's a liberal also? ;-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Local fire reg vs state fire reg [ 3 Answers ]

California state law requires 100 feet of vegetation clearance with 30' cleared and 70' reduced veg. The local fire district is saying all 100' must be cleared. Can the local regulation be stronger than the state? Thank you for any help.

I don't want to have to sit at the theater until it comes on again . [ 6 Answers ]

I have been to the movie theater twice in the past two weeks. Both times I was there, I heard the same song and I like it. Unfortunately, I don't have much about it. A guy sings it... it is a like slower but bouncy rock type song (think Jack Johnson/John Mayer). It has the word "hip" in it. He...

View more questions Search