Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 08:56 AM

Pat Boone was a contemporary of Elvis. He was recording R&B and gospel about the same time Elvis did. But he changed his style and went the way of Bobby Darin.

I will always think Elvis was the best although my preferences are the Beatles and early 70s rock bands.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 09:04 AM
    Pat who?
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 09:40 AM

He's not just cool, he's ‘sort of God.’

OK, no more whining when we call him The One or Messiah.
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 09:53 AM

He's one of the very few commercially successful 50s pop artist who has not been inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. Perhaps his politics has something to do with it ? Naaahhhaaa.

My own opinion is that he never really improved on the music he performed . People generally do not remember his versions of Little Richard or Fats Domino songs. Elvis also borrowed heavily from R&B artists ,as did the early Beatles. But their versions of the songs endure.

For my money the most original of the early white rock and rollers was Buddy Holly ,who also heavily influenced the Beatles.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    He's not just cool, he's ‘sort of God.’
    So is your God, Rush Limbaugh: Smooth Operator - Rush Limbaugh Challenges God to Debate
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Give it up NK . You never see any of us on the right even quote Rush let alone cream in our pants like Evan Thomas or Chris Matthews do when genuflecting to Obama .

Edit . Just did some research and saw this was a sarcastic blog a couple of days after Rush evidently challenged Obama to a debate. I guess it's funny??
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    You never see any of us on the right even quote Rush let alone cream in our pants ...
    Whatever turns you on...
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    ROFL, turn on your satire detector if you can find it. Do you also get your news from The Onion?
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Jun 8, 2009, 03:40 PM

Insult, counter insult, insult , counter insult, insult...
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jun 9, 2009, 10:31 AM

Maybe I can pass this along here. It fits the thread.

AN OPEN LETTER TO PRESIDENT OBAMA

By Lou Pritchett

Dear President Obama:

You are the thirteenth President under whom I have lived and unlike any of the others, you truly scare me.

You scare me because after months of exposure, I know nothing about you.

You scare me because I do not know how you paid for your expensive Ivy League education and your upscale lifestyle and housing with no visible signs of support.

You scare me because you did not spend the formative years of youth growing up in America and culturally you are not an American.

You scare me because you have never run a company or met a payroll.

You scare me because you have never had military experience, thus don't understand it at its core.

You scare me because you lack humility and 'class', always blaming others.

You scare me because for over half your life you have aligned yourself with radical extremists who hate America and you refuse to publicly denounce these radicals who wish to see America fail.

You scare me because you are a cheerleader for the 'blame America' crowd and deliver this message abroad.

You scare me because you want to change America to a European style country where the government sector dominates instead of the private sector.

You scare me because you want to replace our health care system with a government controlled one.

You scare me because you prefer 'wind mills' to responsibly capitalizing on our own vast oil, coal and shale reserves.

You scare me because you want to kill the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world.

You scare me because you have begun to use 'extortion' tactics against certain banks and corporations.

You scare me because your own political party shrinks from challenging you on your wild and irresponsible spending proposals.

You scare me because you will not openly listen to or even consider opposing points of view from intelligent people.

You scare me because you falsely believe that you are both omnipotent and omniscient.

You scare me because the media gives you a free pass on everything you do.

You scare me because you demonize and want to silence the Limbaughs, Hannitys, O'Relllys and Becks who offer opposing, conservative points of view.

You scare me because you prefer controlling over governing.

Finally, you scare me because if you serve a second term I will probably not feel safe in writing a similar letter in 8 years.

Lou Pritchett

Note: Lou Pritchett is a former vice president of Procter & Gamble whose career at that company spanned 36 years before his retirement in 1989, and he is the author of the 1995 business book, Stop Paddling & Start Rocking the Boat.

Mr. Pritchett confirmed that he was indeed the author of the much-circulated "open letter." “I did write the 'you scare me' letter. I sent it to the NY Times but they never acknowledged or published it. However, it hit the internet and according to the 'experts' has had over 500,000 hits.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2009, 10:42 AM

Hello gal:

That guy scares ME! He sounds like he's going to DO something about it. That wouldn't be very American now, would it?

excon
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello gal:

That guy scares ME! He sounds like he's gonna DO something about it. That wouldn't be very American now, would it?

excon
    So why not diffuse the rumors, rather than imply that the author is a terrorist? Show me what's wrong about his statements and provide evidence to back up what you've said.

I don't like Obama either; I hold the same views as in that letter. Doesn't mean I'm going to run to the White House with a gun.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    So why not diffuse the rumors, rather than imply that the author is a terrorist?
    Read the post above yours.

Jun 9, 2009, 11:24 AM

You mean this kook? He scares the living day lights out of me.

Lou Pritchett - Speaker Profile

The one that charges $7,500. To $15,000. Per speaking engagement?

Half of the stuff that scares him is just his opinion. You know what they say about those.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Read the post above yours.
    The links you provided...
    One problem with the right-wing.. .
    Are just as biased as the letter they're denouncing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    So why not diffuse the rumors, rather than imply that the author is a terrorist? I don't like Obama either; I hold the same views as in that letter. Doesn't mean I'm going to run to the White House with a gun.
    Hello this:

I couldn't have said it better than this guy did, and I copied it from NK's list. It's just the beginning, but you kind of get the gist of it:

-----------------------------------

You scare me because you want to kill the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world.

So here we go:

"to kill the American capitalist goose"

Apparently Pritchett has not been paying attention this last year. It's his Republican cronies that have almost killed that Goose—whichever way you look at it: whether by "deregulating" until the economy was almost dead, or by bailouts that put the government in charge of banks.

Obama, at every turn, has been trying to keep the goose from committing suicide.
    "the American capitalist goose"

You've got to give him credit for this one—it's really slick. Notice how he ties "American" to "capitalist", as though there were something about it in the constitution.

The truth is, of course, that presidents from Jefferson to Lincoln and beyond have warned this country about the dangers, to America, of unbridled capitalism and giant corporations.

There is a difference between a free market and a market dominated by multinational corporations. But it's conservative policy to constantly conflate the two, and then pretend that the combination is somehow patriotic.
    "the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world."

This is also nicely done. It's such a big claim, and yet it's buried so deeply in the structure of the sentence.

You're not supposed to notice this claim at all, consciously. You're supposed to assume it's true without really thinking about it.

And, if you do think about it, he's wrapped the idea completely in the flag—so that you won't question it.

Wouldn't it be unbelievably unpatriotic to ask, even for a moment, whether Americans really do have the highest standard of living in the world?

Actually it wouldn't be. In fact, it would be classy of us to admit that we didn't, if that were the fact.

And it is.

There are a great many ways to calculate "standard of living" but under almost any objective system, the U.S. does not rank first, or even second, or third. That's just the truth.

The door you just heard slamming was Pritchett giving up on me an an America-hater—for admitting the truth.

We do rank pretty high, by the way—anywhere from 6th to 17th (and that's out of a lot of countries). Just not highest. But of course admitting that would be un-American to Pritchett, because guys like him don't think that it's patriotic to tell the truth.

---------------------------------

excon

Jun 9, 2009, 11:32 AM
    Thanks for posting theses links. Very interesting.
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello this:

I couldn't have said it better than this guy did, and I copied it from NK's list. It's just the beginning, but you kinda get the gist of it:

-----------------------------------

So here we go:

"to kill the American capitalist goose"

Apparently Pritchett has not been paying attention this last year. It's his Republican cronies that have almost killed that Goose—whichever way you look at it: whether by "deregulating" until the economy was almost dead, or by bailouts that put the government in charge of banks.

Obama, at every turn, has been trying to keep the goose from committing suicide.
    "the American capitalist goose"

You've got to give him credit for this one—it's really slick. Notice how he ties "American" to "capitalist", as though there were something about it in the constitution.

The truth is, of course, that presidents from Jefferson to Lincoln and beyond have warned this country about the dangers, to America, of unbridled capitalism and giant corporations.

There is a difference between a free market and a market dominated by multinational corporations. But it's conservative policy to constantly conflate the two, and then pretend that the combination is somehow patriotic.
    "the American capitalist goose that lays the golden egg which provides the highest standard of living in the world."

This is also nicely done. It's such a big claim, and yet it's buried so deeply in the structure of the sentence.

You're not supposed to notice this claim at all, consciously. You're supposed to assume it's true without really thinking about it.

And, if you do think about it, he's wrapped the idea completely in the flag—so that you won't question it.

Wouldn't it be unbelievably unpatriotic to ask, even for a moment, whether Americans really do have the highest standard of living in the world?

Actually it wouldn't be. In fact, it would be classy of us to admit that we didn't, if that were the fact.

And it is.

There are a great many ways to calculate "standard of living" but under almost any objective system, the U.S. does not rank first, or even second, or third. That's just the truth.

The door you just heard slamming was Pritchett giving up on me an an America-hater—for admitting the truth.

We do rank pretty high, by the way—anywhere from 6th to 17th (and that's out of a lot of countries). Just not highest. But of course admitting that would be un-American to Pritchett, because guys like him don't think that it's patriotic to tell the truth.

---------------------------------

excon
    My issue with that response is that it was clearly written by someone who has something against Republicans. I didn't go deep enough to find out if the guy is a journalist or columnist, but this is the exact reason that media is supposed to be non-biased.

Shame on him and shame on all the others who feel their political stance should be a public affair, whether they support Obama or Bush. Republican or Democrat, personal political views have no place in journalism - as we've all seen over the last century, it's far too easy to start playing favorites and not a single person on this board can honestly state otherwise.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2009, 11:44 AM
    Well Lou is a retired executive on the public speaking circuit and the response to his "public letter" is from a blogger refuting his erroneous points and fear mongering. There's really no media involved here. Personally I watch Fox News for clear unbiased news.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best president [ 20 Answers ]

Who gets your vote as the best U.S. president during the past 50 years? Why?

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

If you were president [ 9 Answers ]

If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.

President beliefs [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, so I can't really find anything on what these presidents believed in politicaly, so yeah could u help me out? Name- Political Beliefs- George Washington- _____________ John Adams- _____________ Thomas Jefferson- _____________ James Madison- _____________ James Monroe- _____________...

View more questions Search