Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Stimulus plan?
    Personally, though I could use the extra cash I'm not excited about stimulating the economy by putting the government further in debt. I mean seriously, if the government wants to stimulate my spending they can just stop stealing so much of my money and for instance, trying to give it to idiots that get in over their heads with bad loans (or just plain liars), or spending $300,000 for restrooms in Ohio. Nevertheless that looks like the road about to be taken.

The Senate has unveiled their own plan which costs more, reduces the benefit to the middle class, adds a benefit to seniors - but "even the wealthiest taxpayers would be sent a rebate."

The Democratic presidential candidates have been running around the country preaching about "two Americas," helping the poor, strengthening the middle class and complaining of the widening gap between the rich and poor.

Why then do they want to extend benefits to "even the wealthiest?" I thought they didn't need it...
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Pandering and vote-buying, plain and simple. FDR was never so brazen; these Bozo's do it with pride.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Hello:

Without the bozo in chief (YOUR bozo) supporting it, the bozos in congress couldn't do it.

Yeah. Bush doesn't know a whole lot about money. He never made a nickel on his own. If it don't walk and crap and have horns, he don't know about it.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 09:37 AM
    If Bush is as bad-off as you describe him, he ain't done too badly at all. God Bless America!
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
    What I'm waiting to see is the “Pork”.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
    At the SC debate last week Hillary said, "the president's proposed stimulus package is not adequate. It is too little too late and it doesn't give enough money to the people who are hardest hit by the increased costs in energy and everything else."

So what does the Senate want to do? Give rebates to the wealthy, lol.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Well, they vote too. Most everyone has a price, and there are lots of wealthy Democrats.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
    By the way: How did Ron Paul vote on this in the House?
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    The bill was referred to committee yesterday, there hasn't been a vote yet. He apparently isn't pleased.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 01:44 PM
    You can't get a rebate without first giving some bate .

This stimulus package is election year pandering at it's worse. But since they have decided to play Robin Hood with my money again ;they should at least give it to those who need it. I don't need another suit from Filene's Basement but there may be someone who could use it more . If I am given a rebate I will donate it to 'Habitat for Humanity' .

I'm waiting for the details but I have heard that seniors who's only source of money is their SS check are not eligible .

I thought the part of the President's address that would do most for the economy was making the tax cuts permanent and to cut business taxes so that they are at least in line with our world wide competators .We have one of the most regressive tax schedules for businesses in the developed world . No wonder businesses move jobs out of the country .
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950

His vote was a Nay.
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime
    His vote was a Nay.
    How did he vote if it hasn't left committee? And, I already linked to his comments.

My mistake, the vote was yesterday. I'm not used to congress doing anything that quickly. :)
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    parttime agrees: I know another Texan like that.
    Even non-Texans make mistakes :rolleyes:
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jan 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Speechlesstx - In short, the way the tax rebates work is to stiff arm the public to take a loan on their own money, no choice, only to be re-taxed on your own money. This would be a crime if you and I thought of doing such, but since it's our government that's OK. I'd stay around and chat about politics, but I've got a doctors appointment today. I'm afraid my cold is trying to turn into pneumonia and I don't want my family to catch it next.

Bobby
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
    In short, the way the tax rebates work is to stiff arm the public to take a loan on their own money, no choice, only to be re-taxed on your own money.
    Bingo . I was shocked the last time when rebates were issued and they had to be declared as income .
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 03:54 PM
    It would be great if it really happened. If everyone is going to get it it makes no sense at all to give it to people who make say, over $200K a year. The rebate should be double or triple for people making less than say $30K a year but will not happen.

Why fund poor people when funding rich people is more fun. Just ask GWB he should know.

It's also an out and out bribe on GWB's part to the American public to make his image much less tarnished than it already is.
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Speechlesstx - In short, the way the tax rebates work is to stiff arm the public to take a loan on their own money, no choice, only to be re-taxed on your own money. This would be a crime if you and I thought of doing such, but since it's our government that's OK. I'd stay around and chat about politics, but I've got a doctors appointment today. I'm afraid my cold is trying to turn into pneumonia and I don't want my family to catch it next.
    Good point Bobby, I had forgotten that, that sucks even more. Take care of yourself, you hear?

Steve
    P.S. What do you think of Campo's return?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Feb 3, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Good point Bobby, I had forgotten that, that sucks even more. Take care of yourself, ya hear?

Steve
    P.S. What do you think of Campo's return?
    Campo as a position coach is great. I welcome him back. I just wish Joe Avezzano was back as the special teams coach.

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    Campo as a position coach is great. I welcome him back. I just wish Joe Avezzano was back as the special teams coach.
    No kidding, I was getting sick of the poor kick overage... doubly bad with all those short kickoffs. Now the report is we may be getting Capers and/or Gregg Williams.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Hello again:

Borrowing and inflating the money supply IS the problem. Borrowing more, to inflate the money supply more, to make people feel better ISN'T the answer.

I can't imagine why any fiscally conservative person would think it would.

I don't know. If you were being poisoned, MORE poison won't help. Is THIS the reason why we're going in the dumper??

I think it is. Buy gold.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stimulus tax rebate checks [ 5 Answers ]

Will non-resident aliens with H-1B visas get the currently discussed tax rebate checks as well that the government is going to send to taxpayer to stimulate the economy? I have been in the States for the last 4 working etc.

Plan B and pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

I had unprotected intercourse on Sept 28th, took Plan B on Sept 30th and began to bleed a bit (not my usual period) on October 2nd. I then had unprotected intercourse on October 12th and have recently been told that I conceived on October 8th and am pregnant. My question is, "Is there any...

Plan B? [ 1 Answers ]

So I had unprotected sex and I ended up taking Plan B that day after. But now three days later my b/f had sex and the condom broke... so does that mean I am pregnant for sure? Should I take another Plan B? Or is the pill still in my system?

View more questions Search