Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 19, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello in:

I'm not putting her down, in. In fact, I'm applauding her for telling the truth. Abstinence works, but it's not realistic.

THAT is the truth she told. Certainly the REST of it was the truth too, but I wasn't speaking about that.

The one above is the BIG, BLOCKBUSTER one, because it comes from Palins daughter. It wouldn't have the impact it does if it were to come from MY daughter. Why can't you guys get that?

This is the daughter of the "leader" of the GOP, telling the world that her mothers quaint, right wing religious ideas AREN'T REALISTIC. I think that's BIG.

excon
    Because it is not realistic for Bristol, or for me at that age, does not mean it can't be realistic for my children.

High goals should be set.

Put another way, straight As on a report card is the goal, the expectation, what my wife and I tell our kids.

Has it been "realistic" --no, not all the time.
    Should we say, you know what kids, straight As are not realistic, just pass?

Just because we are conservative / biblical in our expectations does not mean we are not realistic. We have already had the sex, drug, abortion, college, birthcontrol, safe sex etc... talk with our 10,11, 12 children.

G&P
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 19, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Abstinence is NOT NECESSARILY unrealistic!
    My wife and I abstained before marriage because we had this old fashioned idea that we should actually practice our Christian faith.
    Weired, huh?
    Great,

I wish, I and my wife were [ prior marriage[s], relationships ]. From our perspective we wish we were like you and your wife.:)

G&P
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox View Post
    Because it is not realistic for Bristol, or for me at that age, does not mean it can't be realistic for my children.

High goals should be set.

Put another way, straight As on a report card is the goal, the expectation, what my wife and I tell our kids.

Has it been "realistic" --no, not all the time.
    Should we say, you know what kids, straight As are not realistic, just pass?

Just because we are conservative / biblical in our expectations does not mean we are not realistic. We have already had the sex, drug, abortion, college, birthcontrol, safe sex etc.... talk with our 10,11, 12 children.

G&P
    AMEN! I am not nor will I ever be the standard but I will set the bar high!! And you know all of this is not because of anything more than wanting them to succeed and be the best they can... this is NOT just a Christian idea. Don't we want the most for our kids?? I love them too much to set the bar lower like hand out a condom and a "be safe" speech. They deserve BETTER!!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    Abstinence is NOT NECESSARILY unrealistic!
    Hello Gal:

No, it's not necessarily unrealistic... There are those who abstain without even being told. For them, NOTHING was necessary. But, those people are the exceptions. They aren't the masses. YOU aren't the masses. You're exceptional. I'm thrilled for you.

Sex education should be for the masses, not the exceptions. No?

excon
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2009, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    AMEN! I am not nor will I ever be the standard but I will set the bar high!!!
    Hello again:

Are you guys missing the point ON PURPOSE?? I think, because you're SO invested in your point of view, you cloud the issue...

NOBODY is saying that abstinence isn't a worthy goal. Nobody is saying you SHOULDN'T teach that to your children... Nobody is saying that. You seem to think they are...

What they're saying, is teach them abstinence, fine. But, teaching them abstinence ALONE, is living in HOPE - not the REAL WORLD. Hope is great, but give your kids a safety net too.

THAT seems SOOOO much more reasonable than telling your kids not to screw, and leave it at that.

excon
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 02:11 PM

Ex,

When you say "Jr. now don't you go having sex outside of marriage because it is risky, wrong and you could end up with a baby" and then you proceed to hand Jr. a condom he gets mixed messages. It is kind of like saying don't drink alcohol but if you are going to... do it at home. Hello? No ex, YOU miss the point.

I already said that I communicate with my son. I am very open with him. He knows what causes pregnancy and how to prevent it... I'm just not going to give him the choice.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    THAT seems SOOOO much more reasonable than telling your kids not to screw, and leave it at that.
    Why does everyone think we just tell our kids don't have sex and leave it at that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Palin's Email Hacked! [ 12 Answers ]

So apparently some group called anonymous hacked into Palins Yahoo email account. I don't know what they were looking for but this should not be tolerated. Palin's Email Account Hacked (PHOTOS)

View more questions Search