Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Mar 30, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Probation violation KY
    I was charged with 2 felony counts of welfare fraud for failure to report changes in income. I assumed that I could make payments back to the state and avoid criminal charges. Yeah right. So I pled guilty, was sentenced to 3 yr (2) running concurrently, placed on probation and moved to Ohio. The primary requirements were to make $150 monthly payments, remain employed full time, and of course see probation officer. Well, it all sounds easy enough. Unfortunately I have severe depression, anxiety, PTSD and am a single mother of 5. Needless to say... no payments have been made, kept job for first 6 mo then was hospitalized, have since applied for Social Security and am fighting with them. Have always talked with PO but initial state has filed a revocation hearing as I have not paid. Received the notice today (Friday afternoon) and must be in court in KY on Monday. Cannot reach an attorney... so don't have one. Basically scared less. To top it off I have a social services degree (not used much due to illness) which makes the court thinK I "should have known better". Have NO idea what to do... Can come up with a one time payment of about $2500 and have made arrangements with ex husband to start making monthly payment but I'm not so sure the female judge wants to hear any of that. Any advice, support would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks... Cathy
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Hello 1:

Yeah, I'm not sure she wants to hear it either. But, what else have you got to say? Certainly, whatever you say will be better received if you bring your $2500 with you. I'd bring your toothbrush too.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2007, 06:39 AM
    First show up, if you don't there will be a warrant for you right then.

Next of course this is what it is, you violated probation and honestly the fact you have 2500 in cash now but could not make 150 dollar payments until you were called to court. I guess if I was a judge that would make me wonder and why during the first 6 months when you were working why you did not pay then. That at least will be one question they asked you about

Mar 31, 2007, 10:09 AM
    I appreciate your responses. Sounds like I'm basically screwed. I don't suppose my mental health issues are going to lend themselves to my defense? She is a tough judge and I can't reach a lawyer. What are the odds she will give me another chance? I've had no other legal trouble in my life. Scared to death.

Apr 3, 2007, 08:42 PM
    Again, I'm in Ohio. Just a quick update... went to court in KY with an attorney (not quite sure about) and they basically just set a hearing date for two weeks from now. Still don't know what will happen. Attorney says he will be trying to make a deal with prosecutor and get back with me. Haven't gone to jail yet... but still unsure.:confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Hello again, 1:

Relax. I'm really a glass half full kind of guy - ceptin when I'm dealing with the criminal justice system. In my experience, it's best to think the worst, and hope for the best. That way, you can't be disappointed.

Yes, I said earlier that you should tell the judge about your problems. And, I mean that too. However, don't do it as though your problems are an EXCUSE. Because, in fact, they're not. At best, they're REASONS.

What will save your butt, is if you tell the judge how you've OVERCOME the REASONS. As evidence of that, you have $2,500 towards your fines. Plus, you should tell him what your plans are to continue on the straight and narrow.

You can do that in writing to the judge, and that's not a bad idea. Send a copy to the Probation Officer. You can learn your lines by heart if you want. The bottom line is, YOU need to turn this thing around. Only YOU can.

If you do, I don't think any judge will put you in jail.

excon

PS> (edited) I thought I posted this already, but it disappeared. Software spooks, I guess.
    help31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 07:41 AM
    When you originally got prosecuted, did you actually spend time in jail?
    help31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Did you go to jail when they first convicted you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violation of probation [ 5 Answers ]

I failed my urin test for the 2nd time. Is it natural that they ask for jail time? They want to give me 60 days or 30 in work release. It just seems that it would be after 3 when you get jail time? Is there anything I can do to avoid jail time?

Probation violation [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is on probation in the state of New Jersey. He is supposed to be off in 3 months, and last night was pulled over in the state of New york and given a ticket for possession of marijuana. NY law is that it is decriminalized and he just got a ticket, however... is this a violation of...

Probation Violation [ 1 Answers ]

My 24 year old daughter was recently on the receiving end of domestic violence. There is no legal attachment between her and the violating party. He was currently on probation for a previous criminal act, for which he did some prison time. Last night they picked him up for the probation violation...

Probation Violation [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a statute of limitations on a probation violation in the state of Michigan? A friend of mine had a warrant issued for her a long time ago for violation of probation. They never picked her up. It has been years since it was issued. Is there a limitation on how long of time passes that...

Probation violation [ 7 Answers ]

Dose any one know if a probation violation is filed when youer arrested for a new charge or after you plead quilty to the new charge ?

View more questions Search