Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sparkie77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 09:00 PM
    I was charged for cause bodily harm but not read my rights
    I got into a fight with my brother at a tim hortons . I was aware someone would call the police so I went to the station explained my brother and I got into an argument and we both got physical. They told me to meet them over at the tim hortons after the one officer talked to my brother . The officer charged me with cause bodily harm . Not my brother he didn't want me charged .they didn't cuff me they just put me in the cruiser without reading my rights went to the station given court date and released . Can these charges get dropped ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 21, 2012, 12:12 AM
    No, why would you think so?

You have been watching way too much TV, you are seldon read your rights when arrested. The officers were investigating, in fact you went and told them what happenend at the station. If they question you further or ask you for a written statement, they will give you your rights then.

I guess I have arrested 100s of people only read two their rights, since I wanted to question them, the rest, after they were taken to the station, the DECT read them their rights before they questioned them.

Anything you told them freely at the station before you were a suspect can be used against you also. It is possible that things you told officer at the scene that arrested you may get thrown out at trial, if you told him anything extra.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to have my rights read to me in ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested at my work for theft, they interrogated me and when I admitted the loss prevention arrested me and read my rights, when the police officer got there she talked to me, she charged me with theft under 5000 but didn't read my rights to me at all.. Does she have to or because the loss...

Civil rights my rights was not read the put me in lock up and then booked me. [ 10 Answers ]

I was arested for domestic and dui did'nt case's but on both I was not told my rights about being slient. I even asked for a lawyer but I was told I was'nt under arrest so I did not need one then they laughed. I blew once but the cop instised on taking me to police station to blow again I...

Was arrested but was told I could get a lawyer or read my rights [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested for theft in the third degree. I was not read my rights.I was not asked if I needed an attorney. I told them I didn't know what do and got no response or help.were my rights violated?

Caught shoplifting first offense not read any rights [ 3 Answers ]

I was arrested for shoplifting at kohls dept. store in frisco Texas and they did no read me any rights. I was walking to my car and a man from kohls and a police officer took me to the office inside kohls and shut the door and were rude to me and also accused me of taking something the week before....

Signing Over rights-** READ FIRST ** [ 1 Answers ]

This is a very frequently asked question here. And frequently answered. The following is a summary of the facts and covers most jurisidctions. 1) A bio parent cannot be forced to relinquish their rights, it has to be voluntary. a) The only exceptions to this are where the bio parent cannot be...

View more questions Search