Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pocohantas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
    In the state of Maryland what is considered child abandonment?
    I wish to file for custody of my three children. The father and I have never been married. He has lived in the U.S since he was 13 on a visa. When we separated he moved to Canada. It has now been four years, and he is facing deportation to his original country. It has been four years since he last saw the kids and two years since he last sent any financial support. Can I have his rights terminated and gain sole custody of my children. I have provided all support for my children and that reside with me year round. What can I do? Or how do I do it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
    You probably will not be able to terminate his rights, but you should have no problem getting full custody.

Since he isn't exercising his rights it is unlikely a court will terminate them. There are sticky notes at the top of this forum that discuss these issues further.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
    You may try and if he does not show up or send any paper work to fight it, the court may, but seldom do the court end his rights for just not visiting or paying support.

It is a reason to file for a change in custody, So you should get sole custody both legal and physical. And perhaps end any current visitation order in place. But he is not using those visits anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's Considered Child Abandonment (mi) [ 7 Answers ]

My husband & I have joint custody of our son. I spoke to him and we agreed I can go out of state for 8 weeks. To be with my fiancé while he's out of town working. Can he get me for child abandonment? I'm wondering if he's setting me up.. He's just being to nice... I will be in contact with my...

Does the state of Maryland have a child abandonment law? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the state of Maryland have a child abandonment law?

Is this considered child abandonment? [ 3 Answers ]

In Mar. of 2010 my daughter and her mother were taking to FL from IN by my child's grandmother.At the time my daughter's mother was unaware of the laws in IN and didn't realize she was leagally emancipated once she became pregnant.It took me until Aug. of 2010 to get down here to FL to be with my...

What is child abandonment in Maryland [ 2 Answers ]

What is the law of child abandoment in Maryland?

Time line of child abandonment in Maryland [ 3 Answers ]

If a father leaves the state where his child resides due to unforseen circumstances, but keeps in touch with his child and the childes mother through the telephone and letters on a biweekly basis, is there anyway the mother can file for abandonment by the father, and get the motion granted.

View more questions Search