Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noobstar Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 04:54 AM
    Theft at Superstore
    Recently I was caught shoplifting at Superstore. I needed a bite to eat and didn't want to wait in line as I was short on time for something important. The guy stopped me when I walked out and I behaved and admitted to what I did. That something important obviously got cancelled while they were asking me why I made such a stupid decision (I am 20 years old and a 3rd year uni student, didn't eat for whole day but I digress). The total amount could not have been over $10.

First offense and never ran into the law. I admitted to making a stupid decision under my circumstance. They took my drivers license and scanned it and said I was banned from Loblaws for a year. They then proceeded to tell me that they will save my future and education by not charging me and giving me a criminal record. However they said that they filed documentation of this incident and put it on my information profile that all officers can see. They explained that the result of this would be that I have no credibility at all. So if I get pulled over by a cop, they will give me a ticket because a quick search can tell them that I committed theft. I repeat this is not a criminal record as I asked that but it was an informational profile that officers can view. One person also gave an example that if I was hanging around with weed smokers and I wasn't even smoking weed I will be charged or harassed simply due to no credibility. (it seems that cops will be a lot more strict and not lenient)

I am posting to find out more about this informational profile as other posts never brought this up. I did not have to sign anything and no cops were called. I was told to leave. In short what does this profile do to me? And does anyone know more about this profile? Sounded like a criminal record...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2011, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobstar View Post
    In short what does this profile do to me? And does anyone know more about this profile? Sounded like a criminal record...
    Hello N:

They LIED to you... Cops have ONE database - their own. If you weren't arrested, you're not in there.

But, you can expect a bill from Loeblaws to cover the cost of them LYING to you.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2011, 05:50 AM

That was one "heck" of a story, that store security needs to go to confession for such a lie.

No there is no "store" data base that all officers can see. The police only have one data base, that they look at for people who were arrested and/or convicted of crimes.

The store, or maybe even a group of stores use a data base to know who has stolen from them, and they will compare this to people coming into the store,
    They can call the police and have you arrested for tresspass if you go back into the store after being told not to go back.

What they will do, is send you a bill for 500 or 600 dollars most likely for you to pay a civil fine.

Mar 12, 2011, 09:21 AM
    Thanks guys.

It did sound kind of odd as when I questioned him on what this was he said it was an 'informational profile' and he tripped a little in his speech.

Mar 12, 2011, 09:08 PM
    I have a follow up question regarding the bill I have to pay. When will it be mailed to me and what window of time can they do this?

I am leaving for an internship in 1 and a half months. If they charge me outside this window I will have to ask someone at home to cover my cost as they are probably using the address on my drivers license. Also I do not think they ever mentioned about a bill but they did use the term "you are going to pay for this" but it seemed to be more of a scare tactic and lesson learned. And would it be a surprise if no bill was sent?

I'd like to add that they took back the chips...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2011, 07:41 AM

Expect it in 2 to 6 months, depending on the store back log.
    My guess it will be close to 600 dollars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft over 5k [ 5 Answers ]

Over the past year my oldest daughter has been getting into drugs rather badly... nothing heavy but doing it a lot. Here's where I become involved... her "friends" shall we call them were calling frequently and even showing up at my home. I began paying them the money tha was owed however I was...

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Theft under $5k [ 1 Answers ]

L bascially did the same thing, anyone know if you will have a mark on the system profile saying something like:theft under 5000s, discharged or w/e and if so what can we do to remove it. THankx

View more questions Search