Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshine303 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 08:36 AM
    To get the most money back?
    Will I get more money back if I claim 3 children instead of 2? Someone told me after 2 it does not matter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 08:42 AM
    You legally claim the children you have and are suppose to use, to do other wise would be illegal.

Since you get a deduction off the gross per dependent, the more dependents the lower your adjusted wage will be.

** sorry Atlanta Tax if I used slag terms
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2007, 09:00 AM
    I think you are mixing up withholding vs refunds. Yes, you get more of a refund if you claim 3 kids instead of 2 since there is a deduction for each child. But you can't legally claim kids you don't have.

You CAN, however, claim more exemptions on your W-4 form then you have kids. I have one child but claim 5 exemptions. This reduces the amount withheld from my paycheck.

I do this because I do not like the idea of loaning Uncle Sam money interest free and that's what withholding is. However, what this means is that I get a very small refund or even have to pay a small amount. If you underwithhold by a lot, you could be subject to penalties.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Both Fr Chuck and Scott Gem hit all the important issues. I ave nothing to add!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Just trying to get my money back [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, Last year I opened a LOC to purchase a dog at a puppy store in Arizona. I got the dog than paid the account off. My neighbor at the time also wanted a dog, but wouldn't beable to quifly, so I offered to let him use my line as long as he paid me back. From the first month I've had nothing but...

Back To Back Sinks [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a wall in my basement that will have a vanity sink on one side and a wet bar sink on the other. If I run a hot water line to the vanity sink it is on the cold side of the wet bar sink. I will have the same issue on the cold water side. My question is can I just run one pipe for hot...

Get money back [ 2 Answers ]

I gave my boyfriend over $6000 almost 4 years ago because he was in danger of losing his house. It was assummed he would pay me back when he got some money. I have only received $100 to date and we just broke up. How do I go about getting the rest of my money back?

Money is there any? [ 1 Answers ]

Want to see the Federal Reserve bank president of New York admit that there is no "money"? On June 12th watch the Travel channel and see for yourself! Get your VCRs, Tivo, and all other recording devices ready!! ...

View more questions Search