Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brumbaughw Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 01:02 AM
    Why a nonviolent felon cannot possess a firearm
    My son is an alcoholic, but has been dry for several years. He got a DWI and plead guilty to a class D felony. I would like to know why a convicted felon of a nonviolent crime can never own a firearm. I know it is the law, but what is the reasoning behind the law. There must be a court case that set precidence. Just curious. My son had an expensive antique gun collection. Now I have the guns. It doesn't seem fair.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 12:01 PM

This is a question for a discussion board - you are not asking for legal advice.

I have asked that this be moved.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2010, 12:24 PM

A DWI as a felony? What were the circumstances?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2010, 01:46 PM

Don't know what State OP and her son are in - in NY it's over a certain limit OR multiple offenses OR DUI/DWI involving personal injury.

For OP - the law has been tested. http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...0/142436.shtml

In many States felons also cannot vote. I assume OP is not in one of those States - she would undoubtedly care more about losing the right to vote than the right to bear arms.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2010, 02:40 PM

Laws are defined by court cases, laws are written by state or federal government.

It was written since normally those that would committ a crime to a level of a felony may often commit more crimes.

Also since this is discussion, I few DUI as a very violent crime, it kills more people every year than any armed robbery ever did.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 28, 2010, 03:24 PM

The right to bear arms was meant for responsible citzens and for those that have proven irresponsible it is taken from them. Think about what your really asking.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 28, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    The right to bear arms was meant for responsible citzens and for those that have proven irresponsible it is taken from them. Think about what your really asking.
    Let me add that the right is taken from them by the Courts upon conviction of the felony. There have been cases which excluded collections from the prohibition, but only in certain states.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrying unlicensed firearm in pa while on probation [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend had gotten arrested at the time with an unregistered firearm and is now being held on PV until the trial for his new charges. He didn't aim the gun at anyone, just fired shots into the air and got caught. He has two prior felonies and I was just wondering as to how long he might get. I...

Can I buy a firearm if I was convicted of a crime 43 years ago? [ 4 Answers ]

In 1966 I was convicted in Wisconsin on 12 counts of burglary (breaking & entering) section 943.10. I don’t know if the section (943.10) I was convicted under was a felony at that time. The Sentence was withheld and I was placed on probation for 3yrs, it was discharged in 1970 after I completed my...

Probation Violation with a firearm [ 13 Answers ]

My boyfriend has 2 counts of simple assault and 2 counts of endangering the welfare of a child. He was currantly caught with a possion of a firearm but was not a threat with it to a human being, he was using it for small game hunting and has his hunting license. He was also turned into his PO for...

Felony possession of a firearm [ 2 Answers ]

If someone is charged with Felony of an fireaem and given the max. sentence of 15 years and a min. of 13 years. Do they always have to pull the entire sentence given if the firearm its self was not used in a crime. The firearm was in his possession 2 min. This person has been incarcerated 6 years...

View more questions Search