Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letstalk_1978 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 04:06 PM
    NY city and state tax for non-resident
    Hi,

I am finalizing my job in NY city. I am planning to stay in NJ and commute. Can I know if I will be paying NY state tax and city tax. I read somewhere that I have to file NJ state tax too. Please advise
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 12:40 AM

If you live in NJ and commute daily to NY city, then you do not pay NY city tax. You will pay NY state income tax.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 06:59 AM

And you will have to file both NY State non-resident and NJ resident tax returns. In all likelihood you will owe little to no income tax to NJ - due to the credit that you take on the NJ form for taxes paid to NY State.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax filing for a (non-US citizen) permanent resident earning on US income [ 1 Answers ]

Does a (non-US citizen) permanent resident married to a US citizen and living in the US, have to file a tax return even if he/she is not earning any US income? (Assuming the husband and wife choose to file separately).

Dual State Tax [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question regarding dual state taxes. I was working in Florida from Jan-Mar 2009. My husband was working in California. I April I transferred to californina and since then I am working here. So at this time both my husband and I are working in CA. Now I am not sure how my W2...

State Tax returns [ 2 Answers ]

How can I see the status of my 2007 and 2008 state tax returns?

Which State Gets the Tax [ 3 Answers ]

I am a nj resident who just accepted a job with a Maryland corporation, and I will be physically working in an office in Maryland. Should my employer withhold md or nj state income tax from my check? I know for a fact that the company pays unemployment insurance to the state of New Jersey, which...

State Tax for NJ resident working in NY city [ 2 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey. Last summer, I worked in NY city for 10 weeks. My employer withheld NY taxes. How do I file my state tax return? Should I have to do one each for NJ and NY? Confusius

View more questions Search