Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    questionstooman Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 06:33 PM
    Can my probation officer say that my wife has to move out of our home?
    I live in Wisconsin. I got married about 4 months ago and have since been put on probation. My probation officer has now told me that my wife has to move out of the home. I have a toddler that she cares for when I work (not her child) this will cause a significant problem and I don't understand why anyway. Can he do this?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2009, 06:36 PM
    A probation officer requiring your wife to move out of the marital home? Sounds pretty irregular to me. Did he say why he wants her to move out?

Nov 11, 2009, 06:50 PM

I was convicted of statuatory rape (girl was 16-I was 18. It was consensual) My wife is 17. Legally married. Will be 18 on December 18th.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 06:56 PM

Is your wife the victim of the rape ?

Nov 11, 2009, 08:11 PM
    No, sorry for not being clear. The statutory rape was years ago. I served time, got off probation and am back on now because I did not update my address with the sex offender registry. My conviction was not complying with sex offender registry laws. I got probation for the conviction.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 11, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Your wife is 17... how old are you?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by questionstooman View Post
    Can he do this?
    Hello man:

I don't know. Lets find out.

There are TWO ways to be on probation... The easy way is if you have a PO who doesn't bust your balls... That requires nothing of you, except to show up when you're supposed to. The OTHER way is bit more difficult, because the second type PO doesn't want you to succeed. He wants to BUST you. It's YOUR job to see that he doesn't.

The first thing to do when you realize that you've got the second type PO, is begin to document EVERYTHING. You do that because sometime in the future, somebody is probably going to review everything that happened and is going to make a decision about YOUR life based on those events... You don't want the PO to lie - not that he would.;).

Write him a certified letter asking him to provide you with a copy of the probation rules and policy manual for the particular office you're dealing with. Ask him to highlight the exact rule that he's using as a basis for his request. Send a copy to his supervisor, and I'd send one to the judge too.

This does two POWERFUL things. It puts the PO on notice that he's going to have to obey the RULES when he's dealing with you, and it levels the playing field when EVERYBODY knows the same rules.. They don't like it when YOU know the rules, because most likely, they themselves, don't.

So, once you do that, I'll bet he'll change his mind.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Parole officer & Probation officer [ 7 Answers ]

What is the difference between Parole officer & Probation officer? If anybody know about this, please let me know.

Can I be a police officer or probation officer with criminal background? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently going to school to get a degree in Criminal Justice. I was looking into different jobs and wanted to know if I could be a police officer or a probation officer with a theft charge and a disorderly conduct charge? Both charges where between the age of 15-17. Thank you for any help !

Probation Officer [ 1 Answers ]

My brother has a probation officer in Wisconsin that is unwilling to help him with his probation. He is wanting to move back to Texas. Can anyone give me some advice for him. Thank you, Nancy

Probation officer [ 8 Answers ]

Can my brother change his prbation officer in the state of va if he went to high school w/ her ( they hated one another in school)?? :confused:

Probation Officer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all: There's a retired probation officer with the handle magprob. He's trying to hawk a book here. I don't know how much he's trying to sell it for, but don't buy it! He offers a free chapter. I read it. Of course, if YOU ARE a probation officer, then it might help you keeping your...

View more questions Search