Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    momofthree09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Does CA law state at what age kids can decide with what parent they want to reside?
    I have primary custody of my three children. Their father has visitation on weekends and every other week during the summer. Our children are 8, 11, and 15. My question is... my Ex keeps trying to push my middle child to 'choose' to live with him. Sometimes he tells his dad he wants to but then he comes to me and tells me that he does not want to. I have asked his dad not to put him in a situation where he feels like he is being asked to choose. He is 11 and does not have the ability to make such a drastic choice. I believe that we as parents should be discussing and making any decisions as such, as the PARENTS and that the choice should be made on what is in our children's best interest. He claims he will take me to court... which I am not really worried about (as he was arrested on child cruelty just 2 years prior and sits on probation for spanking our two boys too hard.) I have fought to keep my children safe, but the courts seem to think because he attended parenting classes and anger management classes... that they gave him some visitation back. I do feel that fathers play a huge part in kids lives as I was a daddy's girl... but I do not believe that the kids should be able to make such a life changing choice as 'moving to dads'. Am I wrong?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2009, 10:08 AM

The children are never allowed to choose. If the non-custodial parent goes to court and petitions for a change of custody, the children MAY be ASKED their OPINION, but ultimately it is the decision of the court.

Barring some compelling reason why you should no longer have custody (abuse, neglect, etc) the likelihood of a forced custody change is minimal, especially in light of the history of the father.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 10:10 AM

You are right it is not up to the child even if you all agree. Let him take you back to court.
    He would have to have good cause to change the custody order. Most he might be able to do is get it modified for a couple more days but I even highly doubt that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age can a child decide who he wants as a parent? [ 6 Answers ]

My 15 year old son (almost 16 years old) has had no relationship with his birth father for over a year. His birth father has married a woman 25 years younger than him, that has two children by two different men and got pregnant with his father which he now has two babies less than 1 year apart (12...

What age can she decide to live with parent? [ 2 Answers ]

My little sister is 16 will be 17 in November ( she is my step sister) she is living with her mother in Georgia, already has been raped, she is not take care of at all, she is doing bad in school , and is scared to death to be in the same house with her step-dad. Now, she has three other brother...

Age a child can decide which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

At what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with and what are the steps that need to be taken? Thanks in advance

At what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with [ 1 Answers ]

At what age can a child decide which parent they want to live with in Texas

How long to reside in a state to be considered a resident [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. If I am moving from the state of Florida to Brooklyn, NY, how long do I have to reside in NY for me to be considered a resident?

View more questions Search