Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kensue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2006, 05:47 PM
    Legal fees for custody
    We are considering taking on legal custody of 15 yr. old who's parents don't want him. He is my sister's son and therefore we are aunt and uncle. We feel that the biological parents should be responsible for the legal fees involved with the custody process. Is it reasonable to expect this and is it enforceable if so?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2006, 06:12 PM
    It is reasonable to think they should, not realistic, if they cared for their son they would be taking care of him to start with.

So why you should think they should, the main concern should be the well being of the child,

So I would expect them to, but not be surprised when they don't
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2006, 12:33 AM
    There are 2 questions here.

1) What should they do morally
    2) What do they HAVE to do legally

They don't have to pay for the legal bills. If you want to go to court and get custody of this child, good for you. But, that is your choice, and it will cost YOU money. And the legal bills of an uncontested adoption will be nothing compared to what it costs to raising a child.

As Fr Chuck said, if they were good and reasonable people, there would be no need for you to even be trying to get custody.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2006, 08:49 AM
    It might be reasonable to expect but probably not enforceable. If you choose to file for custody of your own accord then you're going to have to pay the resulting fees. Not that you should let that stop you from filing but keep in mind that not too many parents are going to help pay for you to take away their kids, whether they "want" them or not. Of course, if you do get custody, the biological parents will have to pay you child support.
    mardegra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 03:16 PM
    That is not legal. It appears that businesses are out to get even half a penny from whomever they can. Is there a class action suit I can join, because I have two such cases.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2011, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mardegra View Post
    That is not legal. It appears that businesses are out to get even half a penny from whomever they can. Is there a class action suit I can join, because i have two such cases.

What? Class action suit about what? What is not legal?

(This thread is several years old.)
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 08:36 AM

... and who who was interested in case which was closed in 2006??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 years MIA file for legal physical custody? [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out that it is possible for my daughters father to file for legal physical custody of my daughter who he has not seen in 2 and a half years and he is not on her birth certificate (as of yet-his choice)... he was emotionally abusive to me and has never respected her... even terrorized...

Late fees [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a small town in California and recently sent in my payment for utilities (water, garbage and sewer). The bill was due on the 9th and I mailed it on the 6th. I just got a bill in the mail for $25 stating that I paid late. The total of the original bill was $65. Is it legal to charge...

Fees [ 2 Answers ]

Can the opposing attorney charge interest on money awarded on court costs? In California thanks

Non-resident fees [ 1 Answers ]

Hello.  I am a student and an aspiring seasoned traveler.  The only problem?  I cannot afford to pay non-resident fees every time I want to move out of a state. Any suggestions on how to get around this?  Financial aide I can apply for?  If not, become a resident? Please help!! Thank you for your...

View more questions Search