Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kambonita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Carrying unlicensed firearm in pa while on probation
    My boyfriend had gotten arrested at the time with an unregistered firearm and is now being held on PV until the trial for his new charges. He didn't aim the gun at anyone, just fired shots into the air and got caught. He has two prior felonies and I was just wondering as to how long he might get. I know that every situation is different but I'm just looking for a general answer. His Public Defender doesn't seem to know what he is doing either, so are we able to ask for another one?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:26 AM

First a felon with a gun is a no, no. Then add the fact that it's unregistered is also a no, no. Discharging of a firearm within city limits may get him more time as well. Now add into that equation that he violated his felony probation. I'd say he's looking at a minimum of several years in prison for starters.

If this was here in Ohio he'd be looking at least 12 years in prison because of Ohio's stiff gun laws.

Changing public defenders may or may not help him as this will also be ultimately up to the Judge as well as his past record.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:26 AM

Yes, you can ask for a new public defender. As far as not shooting at anyone, when bullets are shot into the air they come down someplace.

What State? With two prior felonies I am certain he will face prison time - question is, how much?
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:31 AM

Judy - 1:26PM for us both. LOL

Poster said it was Pennsylvania.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Judy - 1:26PM for us both. LOL

Poster said it was Pennsylvania.

Maybe it would be helpful if I would read the posts before answering - ?

What are you supposed to scream out when two people say the same thing at the same time? I can't recall.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 10:57 AM

What are you supposed to scream out when two people say the same thing at the same time? I can't recall.
    "You owe me a beer" and whoever says it first gets the beer! Trust me on this! ;)
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 11:44 AM

Oh, I have a bingo over here on table 2. Do I get the prize Alty?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 11:56 AM

Does not even matter if the gun was unloaded, just having the gun is the crime, if he fired it in an area where guns are not allowed to be shot ( but do you know how dangerous shotting in the air is?? ) where is it going to land, miles away

I have a close family member, with high dollar attorney and best legal research, get 10 years for a felon with a gun, the gun could not even be fired ( rusted shut) but he had it hanging on the wall in his home.

So get the idea they take a felon with a gun serious in many places
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2009, 12:00 PM

There was actually a news story some time ago about a man that was shot in a parking lot after a New Years eve party.

Turns out that a few miles away some people where having a New Years BBQ and at midnight one of the guys brought out his gun, fired in the air. That bullet ended up hitting the guy in the parking lot miles away. He died instantly.

The shooter was charged with murder, went to prison.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I buy a firearm if I was convicted of a crime 43 years ago? [ 4 Answers ]

In 1966 I was convicted in Wisconsin on 12 counts of burglary (breaking & entering) section 943.10. I don’t know if the section (943.10) I was convicted under was a felony at that time. The Sentence was withheld and I was placed on probation for 3yrs, it was discharged in 1970 after I completed my...

Probation Violation with a firearm [ 13 Answers ]

My boyfriend has 2 counts of simple assault and 2 counts of endangering the welfare of a child. He was currantly caught with a possion of a firearm but was not a threat with it to a human being, he was using it for small game hunting and has his hunting license. He was also turned into his PO for...

Felony possession of a firearm [ 2 Answers ]

If someone is charged with Felony of an fireaem and given the max. sentence of 15 years and a min. of 13 years. Do they always have to pull the entire sentence given if the firearm its self was not used in a crime. The firearm was in his possession 2 min. This person has been incarcerated 6 years...

View more questions Search