Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amy1962 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Timelimit on issuing a violation of probation warrant
    Someone I know violated probation in June 2008 by failing a drug test. A warrant for violation of probation was not issued until 2/4/09. By this time the person had been to all probation visits. He had completed an intensive outpatient therapy program and the probation officer knew this.

The guy is bipolar and paranoid schizophrenic. He is now on meds to control his illnesses.

With all of this documentation, do you think he'll go to jail? He is clean now.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 07:23 PM

This will be up to the judge to decide at his violation of probation hearing. Anything can happen then. You did not say if it was felony or misdemeanor probation and on probation for how many years and what the original charge was that he was convicted of. There are way too many variables here to just give you a quick yes or no answer. More information is needed please.
    Amy1962 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 07:27 PM

The charge was underage consumption and I think possession of paraphernalia. He has been on probation since 04/08 and would be off probation 04/09.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 07:33 PM

Tough call. I'm going to defer this to the judge. Apparently there might be something more than just failing one drug test for them to have waited this long. Usually if you fail a drug test they get you the next month or the month after that. They might be just slow processing their caseload.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy1962 View Post
    timelimit on issuing a violation of probation warrant
    Hello Amy:

Since violation of probation is NOT a crime, there's no statute of limitations per se. The only limiting factor, therefore, would be the length of the probationary period.

So, if you're thinking that you can get your friend off by using THAT defense, it ain't going to work.

Otherwise, I think twinkie is right on.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recovery Warrant, Civil Warrant or Detainer Warrant? [ 4 Answers ]

I closed on the purchase of a house on April 27th. The seller notified a roommate (who was "not" a tenant) to move on April 4th. He moved his furniture on April 12 but left 4 broken down vehicles, and 2 garages wall-to-wall with things. He is dragging his feet on moving because he's angry at the...

Violation of traffic Probation while on unsupervised crimal probation [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was sentenced 3 yrs unsupervised probation for 2nd degree assault. He already had a case pending for traffic. He hit a car bumper. Was sentenced to supervised probation and to pay fines for damages of 1,000 dollars. We haven't paid the fine yet, we will at tax time we just haven't had...

Timelimit for incurred bills [ 1 Answers ]

How long do you have before your bankruptcy is discharged to include charges in your bankruptcy.. I have a bill from the date of my first hearing with the court. Can this bill be added to my bankruptcy

Violated Probation, but a warrant hasn't been issued. [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently arrested for DUI, however I am on probation. I realize the new charge is a cause for violating my probabtion even if I feel the charge will be dismissed. I don't have a VOP warrant as of 7/11/2008. I have my very FIRST meeting with my P.O. on Monday. So my questions are after I tell...

Probation voilation warrant [ 1 Answers ]

In 2001, I was arrested for a 2nd DUI offense in CA. I left CA before completing the terms of my probation (30 days or 10 days I can't remember). It has been 6 years and I want to know where I stand. A Probation Violation Warrant has been issued in CA. I believe there is no statute of limitations...

View more questions Search