Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thora Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 02:25 PM
    If I cant pay off probation fines before my time is up
    What will happin if I can't pay off my fines before my probation sentence is over? Will they extend it for another year or just until I get my fines paid off? (I live in tn) I would appreciate any knowledge you can spare
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2009, 05:35 PM

You need to make every effort to pay the fines off before your probation ends. If the fines are not paid off, this is a violation of your probation and may result in you spending time in jail if the judge so deems. What you need to do now is go talk to your PO and explain to him exactly why you can't pay your fines in full and will pay them in full if given X many months to do so. He will then (if he's a nice person) decide to bring this up to the judge and let the judge decide to give you more probation time in which to pay the fines in full. This is not a 100% guarantee that this will work, but you do not want to suddenly get to the end of your probation and your PO pulls up your payment information and finds you are short a LOT of money in paying the fines. This will only make for a bad situation for you if they do this as they will probably think you don't care, aren't trying (put other excuse here) and decide to violate you. Do you want to run that risk? Can you get a second job, take out a loan, etc?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 05:41 PM

Normally you will get your attorneny and file a motion to extend your probation to give you move time to pay off the fines.

They may of course say you are in violation of your probation and set you in jail for a short time to help remind you to hurry and pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much jail time on a first time probation violation [ 6 Answers ]

How much jail time on a first time felony probation violation

What if I can't get a job to pay probation fines & fees [ 6 Answers ]

My son was sentenced to two years of probation for possession with intent to sell or distribute marijuana. One of the requirements was to pay fines and fees of about $2,000. He has been not been able to get a job to pay the fines and fees, but the two years of probation are over He will appear...

Will husband just get time served or added time to probation [ 11 Answers ]

My husband's not being extradicted on probation violation. But will they add more time to his probation, or get time served or more jail time for new misdemeanor charges of canabis and pharapharnalia? So lost any info or some similar experience would be helpful thanks can't sleep until I know until...

More Probation time or Jail Time? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently on 3-year probation for , identity theft in the third, 3 counts of reckless endangerment-2nd,false written statement and reckless driving and leaving the scene. The driving charges are separate from the Identity theft charge. Recently two detectives came to my home questioning me in...

Probation time [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find a web site to see how much time I have on probation. I have my TDOC#. Someone pleas give me a web sit to go to. Thanks

View more questions Search