Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenny_hhuang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Ex-husband wants to cut off contact with daughter by paying lum sum
    My ex-husband and I were divorced 3 years ago. I and my 5-year old daughter live in California while he lives in New York. He works on Wall Street and has good income. He's been paying child support and probably visit her one hour once a year. There were very few contacts between us.

There were lots of resentment on his part when we divorced. He has been dating girls who resent the fact that he has a daughter. I do not call or harass him in any way. Still he wants to cut off all contacts with us by disowning her. He said that he is not trying to avoid child support, he just wants to cut off all contacts with us. He is willing to pay all the rest of the 12 years of child support in lum sum and ask me to give him a number.

Aside this behavior being extremely immature and stupid, will the court in California allow him to give up his rights even if I say so? There is no one who plans to adopt my daughter. Please help. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 7, 2008, 12:52 PM

No the courts will not allow him to relinquish his rights. But it won't force him to use them. So that's the same thing.

As for a lump sum payment, I'm not sure if the court will allow it. But if they did, I would just multiply the payments out until your daughter is 24 (figuring going to college). Let him pay that and you invest it.
    jenny_hhuang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    No the courts will not allow him to relinquish his rights. But it won't force him to use them. So that's the same thing.

As for a lump sum payment, I'm not sure if the court will allow it. But if they did, I would just multiply the payments out until your daughter is 24 (figuring going to college). Let him pay that and you invest it.
    Thank you so much for the answer.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 01:23 PM

I think some details have been left out. For one thing besides child support he is responsible for 1/2 her medical needs which include dental and he also should be providing insurance for your child. I don't really see the courts approving any plan that goes beyond the 5 year mark because so much can change. Another thing being that he is NOT required to pay for her collage expenses so that is something you would have to agree upon. Having said that.. what would happen if she chooses not to go to collage ? Will you have to refund the money ? Its more involved then just making up a multiple of the monthly payment. 13 years is a long time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to leave contact details for the daughter I have never seen [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I want to know if anyone can lead me in the right direction with this. Years ago my girlfriend gave birth to our daughter but we split up before the birth. I have never been allowed contact with her but I do wish to leave my contact details somewhere so if my daughter wishes to find me when she...

Daughter has limited contact with me [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter who is 37 and I were like best friends for years. We would shop, eat and talk on the phone for hours. I took care of her children and did as much as possible for her. Then this year it all ended. She didn't call, or answer my calls. During a fight with my husband he said that my...

First Contact with my Daughter in 5yrs. [ 4 Answers ]

I haven't known the wherabouts of my daughter for five years. I finally have her address and phone number, and I am so nervous about contacting her. Should I write her or call her, and if she is angry, how do we get past that? I have three more daughters who I am very close with, but my oldest is...

How do I take my daughter out of the country if her father and I have no contact what [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know what to do. I have a 2 yr old daughter. Her biological father has never been involved at all he was at her birth and his name is on the birth certificate and she has his last name, but we split up 6 weeks after she was born. He's never giving me child support or anything. To her, her...

How to evict a rent paying son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren? [ 4 Answers ]

I hate that it has come to this but I have my oldest son and daughter-in-law and two grandchildren that have lived in our second home for 3 years. They have paid rent without a contract. Their rent has fallen behind but mostly has been caught up. They barely pay the payment on the home and I pay...

View more questions Search