Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandibaby23 Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2008, 01:35 PM
    Probation and Jail release?
    I just had a few questions I can't seem to get answered any where else. My husband was put in jail on Sept 12 2008 for a probation Violation (Positive urine) For marijuana. He had a sentence of 18 months his probation would have been up in 4 months. We live in Bedford county Pennsylvania. My question is is this a minimum sentence. Because I know a few other who have went in for a probation violation and only got 5 days to 30 days my husband got 90 days. Another question is there anyone or anyway to get him out sooner than the 90 days. I don't condone his mistake but Our lively hood depends on him being out to provide for our family and our home he also has diabetes and is not getting the proper care to keep him healthy. I am afraid for his health and our families expenses. Are there any ways to shorten his jail time due to these issues. He is not a repeat offender this was his first crime. Maybe a longer probationary period or home monitoring or that thing they put on your ankle? Not real familiar with this stuff so any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thank you
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2008, 04:35 PM

You have to stop thinking that everyone put in jail on probation violation is going to get the same sentence as the next person. Each person is given whatever time designated by a judge for whatever reason. You never stated what he was originally convicted of in the first place to be put on probation for 18 months. If it was drug related, that is more than likely the reason he was given 90 days.

As far as him getting out early and going on home arrest, this is something he needs to speak to someone at the facility about. Usually they have a court liaison type person he could speak to. Possibly after doing a month or so in jail the judge may allow him to do the rest of his jail time at home on home arrest. Home arrest is not free by the way. They charge for the ankle bracelet and the black box that calls the facility every so many minutes. You can't have call waiting or call forwarding or an answering machine or voice mail on your phone or dial up internet connection for the box to properly work. Usually the monthly fee is around $150 plus hook up charge as well. Some judges allow this alternative and some don't. It's not just an overnight decision either. He has to do very well in jail also. When you see him ask him if there are any incentive programs in that jail such as working in the kitchen, washing cars, etc. to earn some "good time" towards getting out earlier. Some places give you 1 good day for every 3 days worked in the facility. He has to check this out from inside himself to see what is available.

In the meantime, I would strongly suggest that you get a job so that your husband has something to come home to after he gets out of jail.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 6, 2008, 05:03 PM

Yes, each case is different and can vary between judge and judge, between the cases and the same judge. And so on.
    brandibaby23 Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Oct 6, 2008, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the insight I guess now that you mention it I did know that the bracelets did cost a bit. His initial offense was stealing from a car. As far as getting a job they don't come in abundance around here I been looking for some time now and just last week applied at a staffing agency to be available for anything that does come available. Plus I have 2 children who go to school and it is hard to find a job with anyone who will let you come in at 8 and get off before 3 30pm to get my children off the bus, and in our financial state daycare just isn't an option. Now have been speaking with some school teachers and such and they are trying to get a before and after school program together because I assume I am not the only "single" parent with this issue of work and school.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early Probation release [ 4 Answers ]

What documents do I need to file an early probation release in VA?

Probation release [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am on probation now and only have three months left... never had any problems... never was even drug tested! The probation office gave me a piece of paper and told me to make a bunch of copies and send them in every month.. haventn seen the PO or talked to him in months. I have paid all my...

Probation release [ 1 Answers ]

I was released from probation this past wed but haven't received the paperwork. Am I off now or do I need to follow the guide lines until the mail gets here? I live in MI by the way

Probation or jail [ 1 Answers ]

I am on probation for theft under 500.00 and while on probation I have got another charge for the same thing theft under 500.00... what may happen to me will I get jail time or probation again?I also went to court for my charge and the judge said that she was going to look over my probation and...

View more questions Search