Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stretch22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Right of Recourse in Alabama
    I have heard about the term "recourse" and "non-recourse" where if you return the property to the mortgagee they have no recourse against the owner. How does that actually work in the state of AL from an owners perspective? Is there a legal article(s) I could read up on?

Here is the scenario - We own the property in an LLC - payments are behind. Can't sale the property due to the economy - Bank unwilling to work with us. Can we lock it up and hand them the keys back with no recourse to us personally?
    Thanks for your help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Hello Stretch:

I think you're mixing apples with oranges. In my view, "recourse" or "non-recourse" notes have nothing to do with your situation.

Ultimately, the answer lies within your agreement with the bank. They're NOT all the same.

However, given what you've said, it would also be my view, that unless you signed a personal guarantee with the bank, the LLC would be the entity who is liable to the bank - not you personally...

My conclusion is based solely on what you said. I DO have my doubts about whether the bank would loan money to an LLC, especially a small one, WITHOUT a personal guarantee. But, banks do make dumb deals. Let's hope they did in your case.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandparent right in Alabama [ 3 Answers ]

Are there grandparent rights in Alabama? If so what are the conditions?

Recourse vs. Non-recourse loan foreclosure short sale [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am in a pretty bad situation and need some help/advise. I live in California, and purchased the house I am currently living in 2 years ago. Now my first loan (460K) is adjusting from 5.25% to 8.5%, which means an increase of $1200 in montly payment that I can no longer afford. I still owe...

Garnishment in Alabama [ 2 Answers ]

My husband's workman's comp check that goes into our bank account. A garnishment judgement recently took over $800 of that money from the bank account and intend to take more if we deposit his check into it. I called them and told them that he would let it go if they would settle for what they...

Alabama Tenant Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living on some property for the past two years that has a main house set up for two tenants and a detached garage apartment. I live in the garage apartment. Only one of the two rentals in the house is occupied. The landowner and I never signed a lease or contract. The landowner told me...

View more questions Search