Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fazz Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Toilet bubbling after clearing stubborn bathtub drain!
    OK so we had a bathtub that was draining very slow for a long time now. So we tried using some drain cleaning gel and it did nothing to it. Soo I have read about using a plunger, so after I rinsed the drain well with a lot of water, I took a plunger to the drain and Voilą! It worked perfectly. So I was happy that the tub drain worked, I scrubbed and cleaned the tub which had gotten dirty due to the slow draining. So then I start turning the water on and rinsing all the dirt down the drain and its working fine, then I hear a bubbling sound. I turn around and I see bubbles coming UP from inside the toilet!!

So I turn off the bathtub water, go to wash my hands and when I wash my hands the toilet bubbles again! Basically, every time I turn on the bathtub water or sink water I hear the toilet bubbling. What is causing this and how can I fix this! This has never happened before. Thanks a lot.
    harlysdream66 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2008, 10:27 PM
    OK , its your drain , do you have a open clean out ,vent , it will screw off, white cap
    Take it off, then flush your toilet, then replace it , I would suggest you have an air block
    If this doesn't work , use a drain cleaner, to clean out your main pipe.
    And that gel smell nice that all lol lol the only thing that works is a rod cleaner...

I install septic tanks daily

Jan 3, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Im not sure if I have an open clean out? How would I know? Also, which white cap are you talking about? Can you please explain the steps I need to take?

And, do you think this was caused by the clog that I had in the bathtub? I plunged it which freed up the bathtub but could that have moved it somewhere else? Thanks for the quick reply.
    wasser Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Hi Fazz, I think your sewerage system might be partially blocked causing it to drain slowly and collecting air pockets or bubbles. I will suggest you check the main sewer outlet of your house after you drain your bathtub to see if there is water flowing out. At this stage I am assuming there is an inspection chamber at your property/house for you to investigate this. Otherwise, I will be talking to a plumber. I hope this helps.

Jan 3, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Hey can you clarify, I am not too familiar with plumbing systems, I am reading about them now. The bathrub drains perfectly now, same with bathroom sink. But, if I turn either one on and let it stay on for awhile, eventually I start hearing bubbles coming from the toilet. How do I check main sewer lines?

Also, is this due to the clog that was originally in the bathtub? As I said, I plunged it out and then this problem started. Never happened before...

Jan 3, 2008, 11:23 PM
    Is it safe to flush my toilet? SHould I try it!

EDIT: OK - SOOO I tried flushing it, and of course it does not flush. After pressing the lever, the water level rose until it was very high, I tried plunging it and nothing happened, the level went down a little bit then down to normal after a minute. Then I tried flushing again, and it rose very high, I kept trying to plunge and it did not return to normal level yet, stayed fairly high. What can I do?

Jan 4, 2008, 12:09 AM
    Now the bathtub is backed up! PLEASE help me. The bathtub all of a sudden will not drain anymore... AT ALL. Its not slow like it was before, it completely does not drain...

UPDATE : I have no clue what's going on but the bathtub water was gone when I just went to check on it... Also, I ran the tub again and it seemed to be draining normal? But I did not run it for too long but the water was going down normally...

UPDATE 2: So after a long time we needed to go to the bathroom, we tried flushing the other toilets in the house, no go. All toilets were backing up and eventually water backed into and is now sitting in both bathtubs. At least one sink has some water that is sitting as well. Basically we are not going to use any drains at all because the entire system seems to be backed up. Just thought this info might help. Does this sound like a problem that can be fixed fairly quickly/easily/CHEAPLY? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
    LET'S START FRESH! Forget plunging or putting harsh chemicals in your drainage system. What you have done is to move the clog farther on down the line. This must be cleared with a snake. You may snake the drain from one of two locations. You may snake from the lavatory roof vent or you can remove the chrome overflow/trip lever plate from the bathtub and snake the line from there. If the entire house is clogged remove the house cleanout and check to see if the line has standing water in it. Let me know what you find. Don't worry. This is a simple blockage that we will get fixed just as soon as you come up with a sewer machine to do the job. Regards, Tom

Jan 4, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Hey Tom, thanks for the advice. So after waking up this morning it seems the toilets have drained and the bathtubs have also. No water sitting in any of them. Can you tell me where I would find the house cleanout to see if it has standing water in it? Thanks again.

Jan 4, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Hey another update!

OK, so like I said the drains were empty when I woke up this morning. I tried flushing the toilet and it worked. I tried flushing a different toilet and it worked also. Then I flushed toilet 1 again and it worked again. I ran the bathtub for awhile to let it drain and see if bubbles would come up from the toilet and so far they have not. Does this mean that possibly the clog cleared itself overnight? Is that a likely case or not? Also, I thought maybe this meant that the pipes have cleared under the house and that when I am flushing, I am simply draining into the pipes but if I keep using it it may backup again because the clog? Im not sure what to do.

UPDATE: Soo I tried to test it by flushing many times and after some successful flushes, the toilets are not working again. So the clog must still be there I guess.

Hey speedball, can you please explain how to do the steps you described? I am not too good with plumbing - sorry.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Has anybody asked, are you on city sewer or nba septic tank? Tom

Jan 4, 2008, 04:39 PM
    City Sewer system.
    harlysdream66 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jan 4, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wasser
    Hi Fazz, I think your sewerage system might be partially blocked causing it to drain slowly and collecting air pockets or bubbles. I will suggest you check the main sewer outlet of your house after you drain your bathtub to see if there is water flowing out. At this stage I am assuming there is an inspection chamber at your property/house for you to investigate this. Otherwise, I will be talking to a plumber. I hope this helps.
    This sounds like your main drain is blocked, o k the main drain is made white plastic, pipe, 4in da, it conexts ,the toilets, the sink out of your kitchen,and the bathtub,
    Called waste water, smells bad , get the idea lol
    All the water that leave your house, go down this drain ,to a main drain on the street,
    Sometime there drain cover ,big black /brown cover that you can lift to see, if there a blockage , even if you can't see, waste in the chamber, as it could be further down the line , most drains are about , 40 ft long, the bubbles are where the water is returning to place because has stopped up, tissue paper, hair, anything ,even roots,
    The whitecap I'm refereing to is an access cap, which is the cap to view, or install a drain cleaner, like a rod in to ,
    If its any further help , a plumber can push a rod system in your drain and clean it out
    In under 20 minutes, cost about $90! Sorry . It not what we do its what we know
    But you can hire a cleaner yourself ,and do this , clean it out , then rinse, out the pipe
    I do hope you under stand me this time...
    wasser Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 11:31 PM
    Hi Fazz, I am finding it difficult to relate your sewerage system to what we have in Australia. Now if your system empties into the main sewer then I presume there should be an inspection hole or chamber before the connection point. Have you located this? Do you have a fair idea of where your house discharges into to city sewer. What about the waste from the kitchen and the laundry ? - Do they drain properly?

Jan 5, 2008, 03:01 PM
    Thanks for the replies. So I am not sure exactly where our clean out is. Right now, the problem isn't so much the bubbles from the toilet. Now, the whole house is backed up. Toilets won't flush, bathtub can't drain. If we let it sit overnight, the drains clear up but obviously it takes very long. After using the drains in the house for a normal amount, they will eventually become backed up. A plumber is going to come by to look at it and said he would look for our cleanout and if he can't find it will have to remove the toilet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Draining a Bathtub and Wall Drain Toilet [ 5 Answers ]

Hello! I am about to remodel a room in my home into a master suite with a new bathroom. The room was a 600 aquare foot central heated and air conditioned room that the previous owner used for her dogs! It had its own bathtub and cabinets with a sink. There is also a floor drain located in another...

Bathtub drain gurgles when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

This problem just recently started and after several fluhes the water is drained from the trap in the bathtub drain and we get sewer gas. The toilet is about 5-6 feet from the toilet. This is in a 50 year old house, but the bathroom was up dated over 10 years ago.

Toilet Bubbling [ 1 Answers ]

When The Washer Drains, It Causes The Toilet To Bubble And Drain Itself. On The Second Drain Out From The Washer, The Toilet Will Bubble Again, But Then The Soapy Water Also Slightly Backs Up Into The Bath Tub. We Have Already Run An Auger Through The Main Valve On The Outside Of The House. This...

Bubbling from toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single story slab home. Washing machine in attached garage. Two bathrooms with the toilets backed up to each other on the same wall. Also city sewer. I notice every 3-6 months, I'll notice 2 problems, not necessarily at the same time. 1.) I'll wake up and notice that my bathtub is...

Clearing slow drain on tub [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an older home and have a tub and bathroom sink that drain very Slowly. When I drain the sink, I can hear a gurgling in the tub drain and, When I put a lot of water down the sink drain, some water will come up from The tub drain into the tub. I've been putting some Drano down the...

View more questions Search