Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GAmom2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 10:18 PM
    Do I have the enough to charge my ex-husband with abandonment
    [F]I was hoping that I could get some feedback on a question that has been bugging for awhile. My issue is that Im getting married to a man that wants to adopt my son and call him his on own but my ex-husband refuse to sign over his rights. My ex-husband does not support my son in anyway, hasn't seen him going on three years, doesn't even know what my son is going through with school, doctors, etc. Based on what I stated above do you think, I have the legal grounds to charge him with abandonment and let my soon to be husband adopt my son. Any answer would be great.at.at.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:42 AM
    You would have to check the laws in your area.

In Ohio, it is a minimum of 6 months with no contact or child support. At that time, you can file abandonment and petition to have his rights terminated and allow your husband to adopt.

I would get a free consult with an attorney in your area, check the laws, and go from there. But keep in mind, usually the courts want it to be a spouse vs a fiancé... and most courts require a minimum of a year of marriage.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Forgot to add...

You need to be prepared, if the bio father comes into court and contests your motion you are going to be in for a fight, and it most likely will not end in your favor. Judges will not terminate rights unless they think that it is necessary and in the best interest of the child. If the bio father doesn't want his rights terminated, the judge most likely won't.

So you have a few options... file for child support, or tell the bio father you are going to. For some reason this is a big issue for a lot of absent fathers. Right now he is getting off easy... he has parental rights, but doesn't see the child and doesn't have to pay support.

The other outcome is that you going to court and trying to terminate his rights, just might bring him back into the picture. If he is dead set about keeping his rights, but knows that if he doesn't see the child he could be taken to court and threatened to have his rights terminated, he may start visitation.

Or you could just let it be. He isn't exercising any of his rights at the present time. So techincally having his rights terminated won't really change much.

But make sure to weigh all the pro's, con's and possible outcomes before you ruffle his feathers.
    GAmom2005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    Forgot to add...

You need to be prepared, if the bio father comes into court and contests your motion you are going to be in for a fight, and it most likely will not end in your favor. Judges will not terminate rights unless they think that it is necessary and in the best interest of the child. If the bio father doesn't want his rights terminated, the judge most likely won't.

So you have a few options...file for child support, or tell the bio father you are going to. For some reason this is a big issue for a lot of absent fathers. Right now he is getting off easy...he has parental rights, but doesn't see the child and doesn't have to pay support.

The other outcome is that you going to court and trying to terminate his rights, just might bring him back into the picture. If he is dead set about keeping his rights, but knows that if he doesn't see the child he could be taken to court and threatened to have his rights terminated, he may start visitation.

Or you could just let it be. He isn't exercising any of his rights at the present time. So techincally having his rights terminated won't really change much.

But make sure to weigh all the pro's, con's and possible outcomes before you ruffle his feathers.
    My exhusband is ordered to pay child support and I have turned him due to failure to pay. And the DA office here is having a hard time locating him. I told him that if he doesn't start seeing his son that I would take his rights and he still hasn't done a thing. But thank you for your advice and I will get ahold of a lawyer here in GA.:)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2007, 07:20 AM
    It is highly unlikely that you can "take" his rights. Courts are very reluctant to do that. I am surprised, however, that he is being obstinate about this since allowing your husband to adopt would end his financial responsibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment issues with my husband [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband has left my 2 year old son and I. He has also left me with all the responsibility of running the household and all the financial responsibility. I do not work because I am caring for the infant. He has not seen our son in one month. Not sure where to start. Need help. I would...

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband is taking me to court for abandonment,how can he do that if I never left for more than 2 weeks at a time.and also in 1997 I have court papers from when he would up and leave me and my children for no reason and that's not abandonment.the only reason I left before was he would always...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

Can the mother of a kid give the kid to the father for 10 months at a time and not have to do anything for the kid or even see the kid, would that be abandonment?

Abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 8 year old daugther that her real father has never seen her and I was wondering how long does it have to be before she is considered being abandon even if he is paying child support? Please help I am very confused:confused:

View more questions Search