Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yathink103 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Elements of the offense
    What is meant by the term “elements of the offense” and what are those elements?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Hello ya:

Well, stealing is a crime... But, there's more to it than that. One of the elements of the crime of theft is intent. If the state can't prove ALL the elements of a crime, then no crime happened.

Another example would be the crime of conspiracy. Just conspiring with your neighbor to rob a bank isn't enough for the state to sustain a conviction. One of the elements of that crime is the commission of an overt act. Without that element, there is no crime.

I don't know if that helps.

excon
    college4u Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2007, 01:56 AM
    Exactly what he said your intent you have to post the crime cause different crimes can have different elements but intent is the biggest factor transferred intent general intent etc..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft 1, first offense.what to expect [ 6 Answers ]

I was caught stealing $1000 dollars from my job over a couple months time. A cop came, arrested me and took me to a holding cell where within a couple hours was fingerprinted and had mug shots taken and then was released. I already spoke with the loss prevention team at my job prior to being...

Theft under 5000, canada, first offense, 18yrs old [ 2 Answers ]

I went to my local WALMART which I used to work at today got so stupid and taught I could get a way with stealing a TV, a 42 inch TV that was worth 1200 bucks, that was my first time shoplifting anything, just because I wanted to get back at the store, so after buying some milk I just put it on the...

1st Offense ever theft over $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to be charged with stealing money from work using credit card refunds to my personal account. The total is over 5k and under 20k. I have only been arrested before for a dui. I think I can pay it all back before I get charged. What am I looking at as far as being arrested. I live in...

Second offense [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I was charged with theft by taking a motor vehicle and contributing to a delinquency of a minor last year. I was sentenced to 3 yrs probation under the first offenders act. A few days a go I was arrested for theft by shoplifting $1601.93 worth of merchandise, and cont. to delinquency of a...

Theft under 5000, second offense [ 3 Answers ]

Three years ago, I got caught shoplifting a package of beef jerky. I was charged with theft under 5000. It was my first offense, and with a lawyer's help, successfully pleaded not guilty. I have no criminal record currently. I had to attend an anti-shoplifting seminar, write a report on it, as...

View more questions Search