Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BillA127 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 08:23 PM
    Proper way to "charge" new shower valves?
    Experts,

I recently installed a 3/4" mixing valve which then branches to three diverters for different shower heads. Each supply also has a 12" vertical dead-end pipe (forgot what they call these). Do I need to "charge" the valve in any particular way or can I just open the ball valves on the supply side?

Thanks,

Bill
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2007, 08:29 PM
    I think the dead end 12" vertical pipe you refer to is an air chamber and it is there to cut down on water hammer. There is nothing you have to do at the present time to use these chambers but in the future you may have to turn the water off and drain them because water will work it's way into the chambers after a period.

Dec 4, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    I think the dead end 12" vertical pipe you refer to is an air chamber and it is there to cut down on water hammer. There is nothing you have to do at the present time to use these chambers but in the future you may have to turn the water off and drain them because water will work it's way into the chambers after a period of time.

Thanks. What about flushing the valve prior to use? Do I need to open or install flushing ports so any debris in the line passes through?

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
    It's not necessary to flush out the supplies or valve bodys on replacements unless you have a pressure/volume problem from the start. Good luck, Tom

Dec 4, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    It's not necessary to flush out the supplies or valve bodys on replacements unless you have a pressure/volume problem from the start. Good luck, Tom
    Speedball - Thanks. Does it make a difference that this is a new supply line I ran for a basement shower. Any need to flush new lines?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper venting & using a "Sure-Vent" [ 2 Answers ]

I've attached a PDF showing the layout I'm working with. The items in red are what I would like to add (for a new bar sink). From what I've read online and with checking with local plumbers and since I'm more than 3-1/2' from the main 2" drain line (and I'm using 1 1/2" pipe), I have to vent the...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

How do you install an acrylic shower receptor using "setting bed" cement? [ 3 Answers ]

How do you install an acrylic showwer receptor using "setting bed" cement? The sub floor is good and the hole for the drain is 5" as recommended. How do you actually form the setting bed so the receptor is level? 48" x 34" and that's all the space I have to work with.

Proper English using the word "your" [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper way to state the following sentence and why? Is it correct to say "Your not my type" or should it be "Your'e not my type" or can both be used?

View more questions Search