Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saviorsicknasty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 06:36 AM
    What is the law on a 17 year old owning a car and paying insurance
    I would like to know what the law is on owning a car and being able to put insurance on it.
    Do you have to be 18 to own a car?
    Do you have to be 18 to put insurance on a car if you own it and are under age?
    Can you register the car if you are under 18 years of age?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Generally, an under-eighteen year old is a minor and may not enter into enforceable contracts. An 18 year old may own a car, but may not register it or purchase insurance. But, if it were me, I might try, but it may be risky. It would be a bummer to purchase insurance, have a wreck fifteen minutes later, and have the insurer deny the claim because the contract is invalid.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
    You are going to have to prove how old you are at several places in the purchase of the car and the purchase of the insurance. I am sure someone will catch on that you are not 18 yet. Your parents can purchase the car for you and put you on their insurance carrier if you are not 18 yet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Your parents can buy a car and put it in your and their name. A person under 18 can not legally sign a contract. So you can't buy a car, can't sign for insurance and so on.
    hatch Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2008, 09:41 PM
    My friend was 16 and bought a car. The guy took his money and then reported the car as stolen. The cops came and got it and then the kid couldn't prove that he'd bought the car. Wait till your 18 and legally able to sign contracts and pay your taxes!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying taxes on insurance settlements [ 6 Answers ]

I was hit by a driver while I was a pedestrian. My left leg was totally shattered. It took 3 1/2 hours of surgery to fix it. I have a large plate and 11 screws in my leg. I am going to be coming into a very large cash settlement. Do I have to pay taxes on this money? If so at what tax rate is it...

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Not Paying Car loan [ 2 Answers ]

My question for anybody that reads this is, I can not make the monthly payments on my car, and the car is under my mother. My mother can not pay the car either and I was wondering what would be the appropriate thing to do in this case. I am struggling month-to-month for these payments and my mother...

Car isn't mine but I am paying the payments! [ 2 Answers ]

I am driving a car that I am paying for but isn't in my name. I am putting money in his BofA account and now his ex wife wants to take the car away. The car is under his name but I have been paying for the car payment for the last 7 months. What can I do? I was told she was taking the car in the...

He kept the car, but the loan he is NOT paying is in my name [ 3 Answers ]

In our divorce agreement, my X kept a car that I was the primary loan-holder on. In the last 6 months he has paid the payment late three times(this month's payment is also late). These late payments are showing up on my credit report and will cause me no end of grief very quickly. Due to an...

View more questions Search