Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kellikel37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 06:31 PM
    I have no lease can I be evicted in a week ?
    I live in South Carolina with my girlfriend and our 2 kids. We have lived in this house for about 8 months with out a lease. The utilities are in someone's else s name. That person rented out the house to us with out asking owner but he was aware all these months. Now he wants to evict next week. Can he?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2011, 06:37 PM

No you have to be given 30 days notice of termination of lease,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2011, 07:06 PM

Agreed, he will have to give you a 30 day notice to move
    legendstormcrow Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2011, 05:43 PM
    30 days eviction. Also if he does that, as soon as your out go to his leaser and tell them so he gets kicked out as well for breaking lease. There is no way out of it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 05:51 PM

I'm reading that the landlord must file in Small Claims Court/Magistrate Court and can do so immediately. Court orders eviction. I am assuming that the process takes more than a week (although I cannot find a stated time frame). After the hearing the tenant has 10 days to move or appeal.

It doesn't appear to be the standard "give written notice, proceed to Court" that I'm familiar with. I find no requirement for a 30 day notice

"If a landlord wants to evict a tenant who will not leave voluntarily, then he must file a Magistrate’s Summons and Complaint in Summary Ejectment in Small Claims (Magistrate’s) Court. The tenant must be served with the Summons and Complaint by the Sheriff’s Office, either personally or by posting. The Summons will state the date, time, and place for the court hearing. Small Claims Court hearings are informal, but both parties may have an attorney, present evidence, and subpoena witnesses." North Carolina Eviction Laws: Tenant and Landlord Rights - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Jan 21, 2011, 05:56 PM

SECTION 27-35-120. Termination of month to month tenancy.

A tenancy from month to month may be ended by either party giving to the other written notice of thirty days to the effect that such tenancy shall be then terminated.
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Jan 22, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Under South Carolina law, 27-35-120 and 130 state "Month-to-month tenancy can be terminated by written notice of 30 days." However, it also provides for: "Tenancies at will can be terminated by 20 days' written notice."

Since the tenant has no valid lease agreement, It appears to be a 20 day notice in this case.

Jan 22, 2011, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adthern View Post
    Under South Carolina law, 27-35-120 and 130 state "Month-to-month tenancy can be terminated by written notice of 30 days." However, it also provides for: "Tenancies at will can be terminated by 20 days' written notice."

Since the tenant has no valid lease agreement, It appears to be a 20 day notice in this case.
    We don't know if the OP NEVER had a lease or just that the lease went to month to month.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2011, 07:52 AM

I was wrong. My apologies. I posted NORTH Carolina law. The OP asks about SOUTH Carolina.

- But I still missed it.

Jan 23, 2011, 01:20 PM
    Scott, the op stated this was "leased out" without the owners permission, which sounds like either its an invalid lease/sublease. Its possible the person was an agent of the owner, in which case the lease likely is valid. That was what I was basing my opinion on, though it could be the other way around. Either way, its 30 days if valid and 20 days if null.

Jan 23, 2011, 01:23 PM

But not a week!

Jan 25, 2011, 02:46 AM
    Absolutely Scott, not a week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I am evicted am I still liable for the lease [ 1 Answers ]

If i am evicted am i liable for the remainder of the lease

Can I get evicted for absolutely nothing since I'm not on the lease? [ 10 Answers ]

My roommate left a note under my door saying I had 30 days to vacate the property. I tried calling her and she does not answer the phone. I try waiting for her to come home but I can't wait all day because I have to go to work. I pay the rent and the utilities just like the other roommates. Can...

2 week on property now served a 2 week eviction because mgr refuses to sign lease [ 1 Answers ]

Can a management company refuse to sign the lease document even though you signed and was given permission to move-in by district manager of company? She decided that she didn't want me to stay even though I passed all of the criteria of the property. She found out that I had emailed a ex...

I was evicted while having no lease and Wasn't residing at the property [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I apologize for this long explanation but it's a must know. I was living in this house had a lease for 1 yr. My lease ended in June I stayed at the residence from June until October. I moved out in October giving the landlord 30 days notice with my last months rent. At that time my boyfriends...

Evicted before the lease is up [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's landlord is trying to evict her, or have her start paying hirer rent. On the lease it says the price of 600/month is good until 4/1/10. She is telling her to start paying more or get out on 4/1/08. I'm planning to pay the rent on the lease, and see the landlord in court to dispute the...

View more questions Search