I fear my neighbors are smoking meth in their condo which leaks into my home

Asked Jan 14, 2008, 02:47 AM 30 Answers
    I have a huge dilemma. I need advise, please. This is what I smell outside my neighbors house, and inside my house? I smell FRSSH PAINT... always on the outside of their home. Then at certain regular times of the day and evening and ALL WEEKEND, my house has an odor of sick medicinal sweet sick vanilla tobacco cover up is the first incoming odor to let you know what is about to hit you. It is also seems to be the last thin g you smell unless you go outside then you smell the difference of the freshness outside and the pollutant inside it always hits me as very overwhelming. Immediately after the vanilla tobacco smell then there is a blast of burrning rubber or very strong verathane and this very burnt rubber sick sweet odor all at once. I get a burning feeling my nose, my eyes, I get dizzy and nausious. My daughter smells it usually as does my son my husband claims to not smell anything except the outside paint odor and he says he regularly smells it in front of their house. The security guard practically got knocked over from the odor the first night we noticed it.

I have impaired lungs a low immunity system, often as low as 2's in the leukopenic levels, and I worry about those kids over there especially. But what if I am wrong? I do not want to start trouble. Or get into trouble for filing a potential false report? Would that happen? Is it really confidential reporting? What if they find out I am the one if I decide to do it? I just do not know how to deal with this... PLEASE advise.

I actually liked them not like I wanted to invite them to dinner but as neighbors they are the nicest we have. Too bad their house and ours touch and we have to smell this. We did not have this issue until they moved in at all!

Do I have anything to worry about? Is this doing harm to us? I am certain it is hurting the kids. If they want to do it to themselves and I know it definitely will hurt them and their lives and probably their kids if they keep it up. But that is their business, but if it is affecting my lungs or anything then I have to take some sort of action.

I am trying to be completely honest here as can I do the right thing. I am bothered by the odor and the way it makes me feel and I do not want to carry any need to be angry if it is cool and if it is not bringing harm to us or the kids. Actually it sort of also smells like kerosine gasoline or something that is very vile to me.

Do I call child protective services and report what I suspect? What advice can you give me? I do not want them to know it was me. They know we are concerned about the paint odor and all that and have become secretive with us since they have known that. When they first moved in they were more friendly now they really stay to themselves and keep their so called curtains "sheets" kerosine to the walls closed on the downstairs except to get out the sliding door.

I am a MMJ patient and know they partake in herbs also we've discussed it. They are not legal as far as California law stands. I am and am have downstairs reasons for needing it. I have Hep C and had T.B. and back surgery plus they want me to have neck surgery for deuterating disks in my spine. I do not want to do another surgery so I do the best I can on my meds and working at pace. I work for myself so I am home all day and have to deal with this odor all day. I am worried for my health and my families. My husband had a heart attack about 6 months ago. Health I go out side to get the mail or water the plants and come back in I get shocked that I can handel the odor it's medical like sort of but dirty not clean. Then at the same time like acetone or alcohol. I hate to be the kettle balling the pot black. This is very distressing for me to go through these feelings all the days.

Thanks in advance for listening.
    Evart

Last edited by evart; Jan 14, 2008 at 02:54 AM.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,436, Reputation: 2985

#2

Jan 14, 2008, 07:48 AM

Hello Evart:

Even if you call the cops, they won't do anything unless they have more than a neighbor who smells something. Same with CPS.

Why don't you knock on their door and ask them to stop whatever it is they're doing? You don't KNOW that what they're doing is illegal. What if they're tie dying old socks??

What herbs are you talking about that you KNOW are illegal and that you know they use, and you yourself use? THAT might be a way, but probably not since you imbibe also.

Maybe you should purchase an air exchanger/purifier/smell cleaner kind of thing.

excon
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,513, Reputation: 4591

#3

Jan 14, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by evart
    I have a huge dilemma. I need advise, please. This is what I smell outside my neighbors house, and inside my house? I smell FRSSH PAINT...always on the outside of their home. Then at certain regular times of the day and evening and ALL WEEKEND, my house has an odor of sick medicinal sweet sick vanilla tobacco cover up is the first incoming odor to let you know what is about to hit you. It is also seems to be the last thin g you smell unless you go outside then you smell the difference of the freshness outside and the pollutant inside it always hits me as very overwhelming. Immediately after the vanilla tobacco smell then there is a blast of burrning rubber or very strong verathane and this very burnt rubber sick sweet odor all at once. I get a burning feeling my nose, my eyes, I get dizzy and nausious. My daughter smells it usually as does my son my husband claims to not smell anything except the outside paint odor and he says he regularly smells it in front of their house. The security guard practically got knocked over from the odor the first night we noticed it.

I have impaired lungs a low immunity system, often as low as 2's in the leukopenic levels, and I worry about those kids over there especially. But what if I am wrong? I do not want to start trouble. Or get into trouble for filing a potential false report? Would that happen? Is it really confidential reporting? What if they find out I am the one if I decide to do it? I just do not know how to deal with this...PLEASE advise.

I am a MMJ patient and know they partake in herbs also we've discussed it. They are not legal as far as California law stands. I am and am have downstairs reasons for needing it. I have Hep C and had T.B. and back surgery plus they want me to have neck surgery for deuterating disks in my spine. I do not want to do another surgery so I do the best I can on my meds and working at pace. I work for myself so I am home all day and have to deal with this odor all day. I am worried for my health and my families. My husband had a heart attack about 6 months ago. health I go out side to get the mail or water the plants and come back in I get shocked that I can handel the odor it's medical like sort of but dirty not clean. Then at the same time like acetone or alcohol. I hate to be the kettle balling the pot black. This is very distressing for me to go through these feelings all the days.

Thanks in advance for listening.
    Evart
    I think I'd just step next door and tell them whatever they are doing bothers you and could they purchase fans or air cleaners or something - ? How far away from these people are you? Or you could always move.

(I'm having my kitchen painted as I type this; I'd be unhappy if my neighbor decided something was going on and called the authorities.)
    evart's Avatar
    evart Posts: 14, Reputation: -3

#4

Jan 16, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Evart:

Why don't you knock on their door and ask them to stop whatever it is they're doing? You don't KNOW that what they're doing is illegal. What if they're tie dying old socks???

Maybe you should purchase an air exchanger/purifier/smell cleaner kinda thing.

excon

From your Avatar you appear to be comfortable behind bars so I don't take anything you say as valid your attacking me because I am being honest? I am looking for answer that are wise and informed. Read your content. What I am asking asking for help with is a serious issue and this is a serious question. What is imbibe? I have typos also but I can not figure that one out?

By the way, Cannabis is LEGAL in California to use if a licensed doctor thinks it will help you, they can write you a recommendation allowing you to both grow it and use it. I had the police here and fire dept and they had electronic meters that could tell them what had been in the air for the past few hours if not more. Not one word was mentioned to me about cannabis and I had used it fairly close to when they came over. I have no issues with this at all and if you do too bad get used to it! more and more states are passing similar laws. I use cannabis and am also well educated amnd an educator. So your perception is way succeed by your emotional feelings about that. And have been honored in many ways for my achievements so you can not knock me down. The herb I speak of is... cannabis! WOW I am a bad bad person who uses drugs right? Grow up!!

They picked up paint outside and in my house vanilla tobaco odor by my home or in my home. Nothng else. They also did not come for a long time after our complaint. They explained when something enters a house it can be through vents and without blue print plans of the unts it is hard to say who we share venting systems with. It may not be our direct neighbor they said also. They are the only unit of all three we are connected to that did not call back the office about the odor nor did these anwser the door for the security guards, or for the fire dept. They were home, security and the fire dept knew that, but could not make them come to the door.

I'd love to use our air purifier the Ionic Breeze is AWESOME for odors and dust but many people can not use them. Mine almost killed my bird and makes my skin mutate. They cause free radicals and I have hep C and impared lungs from T.B. My vet said most people don't ever realize their bird is ill let alone catch the illness from the air purifiers. Birds can not handle free radicals at all, it kills them. Ionic Breeze knows their product is dangerous and came out with a "so called fix" for it but it still is too dangerous for either of us to live with. I loved it though having little to no dust... NO odors, I was in heaven. But my body did not agree and I am worried about my body here. I would love to know they would not be offended if I asked. I just fear asking I would not want to be accused of something I was not doing. If I were doing it, it would probably make me hide it even more. Especially if it were illeagle, not being an illeagle acting person I can only speculate what I would do if I were caught doing it.

Thanks for your response but I am loking for someone who knows meth! I'd like to speak to someone willling to speak about it and not act like a jerk and that everyone is aganst you and you get all protective of them because you do it yourself. EVERYONE has issues of some sort with major drugs help only comes when they themselves want it. I do not think they would want to harm anyone either and for that reason if I knew them better they probably would just get a machine for their house. I hate this distrust as anger and hatred are the possible outcomes. I want nothiong more than to speak to them and not report it that is why I hoped someoned who knew about it could guide me into how not to frighten them, offend them and still make them understand it's not safe for us but to please figure out a way to not let the smoke get into our home.

Thanks
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,727, Reputation: 7217

#5

Jan 16, 2008, 07:00 PM

In defense of excon, he has more common sense answers than many and has a lot ( a whole lot) of experince in what police and government will or won't do.

As a police officer I an tell you that smell alone is not probable cause to get a warrant. So you do need to knock on their door and see it and then be willing to testify to this, to the officers.

So you go talk to them, tell them it is hurting your health and if they don't stop you will have to call the police.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,436, Reputation: 2985

#6

Jan 16, 2008, 08:19 PM

Hello again, evart:

I told you what the law is. I suggested you speak with your neighbors. I didn't attack you. I haven't a clue where you're coming from.

I heard pot makes you paranoid. Now I believe it.

excon
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,436, Reputation: 2985

#7

Jan 16, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Hello again, evart:

Nahhh. I'm going to add some stuff. I DO know about meth. I DO know what it smells like. I DO know what scary people methamphetamine addicts are. I DO know about medical marijuana.

NONE of that changes the law or my recommendations.

excon

PS> The word "imbibe" is in the dictionary. It shouldn't be too hard for an educated person like yourself to look it up.
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054

#8

Jan 17, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I agree with you dear. Meth cooking smells horrible. What you are describing has all the ear marks of cooking. The stench from meth is unforgettable. If you do go to the neighbors and they actually let you in their home or have the door open long enough, if they actually are cooking meth, believe me, you'll know it in a heartbeat. Your head will feel like you've gotten the biggest rush ever (and this will make pot pale by comparison, believe me). If you think you can stay "annonymous" when reporting your neighbor, guess again. You essentially can't. From what I gathered from your post they already suspect that you know they are doing something but can't figure out just what.

I can understand you being home all day and having to put up with the obnoxious smells is not fun by any means. Having impared lung capacity means that anything can and will cause you extreme problems. Your description of eyes, nose, dizzy and nauseaus means that there is a chemical process going on that is an irritant of some kind. Meth cooking causes an irritant to be put into the air. Your being dizzy means that you are reacting to the meth and getting "high" - albeit a second hand high.

You said this was a condo. Have you addressed the condo board about the stench yet? Condos have some pretty strange rules and it sounds like they just broke a rule - annoying smells eminating from their unit.

Have you spoken to the drug task force about this? They are trained to "smell" meth cooking. The fact you said you had the police and fire dept over is great. The fact the neighbors did not open the door to see what the commotion was clearly gives me the signal that they are doing something wrong. I've had "cookers of meth" live near me in the past and I know first hand what it smells like. Certainly not violets.

You did not mention their habits. Do they go to work on a regular basis? If they leave for work does the stench still emanate from their house? Do they have people over that stay for short period, say less than 10 minutes? How long have they lived there? Did they do this from day one?
    JudyKayTee's Avatar

#9

Jan 18, 2008, 06:57 AM
    If they are, in fact, cooking meth I would have some concerns that they are going to blow up their house, your house and everyone in both houses.

But I don't think you can do anything anonymously - which I believe you prefer to do - and once you make that phone call you are involved. I also never believe the "we'll keep you anonymous" line. I see people who think they are anonymous suddenly have their names handed out all the time.

Not saying not to do it just a couple of quick thoughts -
    fde's Avatar
    fde Posts: 93, Reputation: -4

#10

Jan 19, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Look people that are using are not in any kind of mind frame to walk over and talk to! And if they have a lab then they are paranoid and don't care much about you if you know what I mean. I live in Canada so I don't know much what the cops there do but they have a duty to look into what you clam. Don't give them your name though because you would not think so but they will use your name if they have egg on there face if it is nothing.
    I feel very bad for you! You are in danger with your home and the smells plus the gases that indeed do cross the path of just there property. The residue that stays in a home with a lab or use to have a lab can kill you and that is a fact!
    Please be careful how you talk to them, If they are cooking meth they are on Meth and that makes them very unstable.
    I would embellish your story to the police to make them lessen. Like young children are coming and going at all hours, And you have felt high around your neighbours yard. You have smelt chemicals that actually burnt your nose. All that these lies will do is have someone's life looked into for a moment in time. Or bust a peace of... that is taking your life into there hand and that is a fact! Besides they would want someone busted for that if they are descent people.
    If you think it is only in bad areas that is far from true meth is on the rise in nice suburb places. They think in nice areas they won't get caught.
    I know of a story of a family who bought a home that had a meth lab in it. That couples 7 year old died of exposure. I worked there funeral and prepped a young man that looked like he aged 20 years from it. It took him less that 1 year to die from it. The father is unable to work because he has no lung capacity. The mother has lung cancer now and she wants to die to see her child she misses so much. I pre-booked her funeral she wants to be cremated ironic.

Smoking Neighbors [ 9 Answers ]

My huband and I like to have our windows open facing our backyard in the evening. When our next door neighbors go out on their patio and smoke, the smoke gets in our house and we end up having to close all the windows. I know they have a right to smoke in their backyard, but it's frustrating to...

Nasty condo neighbors [ 5 Answers ]

Trying to find a solution to a nasty upstairs condo neighbor... this neighbor Moved in 2yrs ago, (neighbor) lot of noise (put up with it at first, but it was nonstop) Knocked on door to ask for a reprieve, was given a nasty OK OK OK It escalated, sounds like 5 yr old daughter plays hocky...

I think my husband is on meth [ 26 Answers ]

Here are the symptoms Erratic behavior,wears sun-glasses all the time-even indoors,he seems to have aged decades,hair long and unkempt,teeth discolored,weightloss of fifty pounds or more in a few months,sometimes he seems paranoid,anger outbursts,cut himself off his family,new and strange friends...

Help! 1st time home (condo) owner with seeping toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I checked the other postings and could not find one specifically on this issue and the questions about wax rings. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 story condo, for only about 6 months. When the main drain of the building gets clogged by the neighbors (like with papertowels or grease most...