Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JettaMan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 12:48 AM
    Charges dismissed?
    4 months after I turned 18, my friend broke into 3 cars and I was a look out man. I got charged just as he did for 3 counts of burglary of a conveyance and 2 counts of petit theft. I got accepted into the pti( Pre Trial Intervention) program and I successfully completed it. My lawyer said that my charges were dismissed. My question is are these charges on my record? Will it affect my admission to medical school, or to colleges in general, I live in Florida if that helps. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 05:13 AM

Depends on thorough the background check is. How long ago was this? If you were 18 then and you are now considering College my guess would be that this is not very long ago.

I would think that getting into school may not be the problem. The problem MAY be getting a license to practice medicine. When it comes time to be licensed you will have some explaining to do.

Jul 17, 2009, 08:31 AM

Well I am 19 now and at the time I was already accepted into a university. Now I am changing universities. And even though I was never convicted I will still have trouble? And I heard its not as bad if its non violent crimes.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 17, 2009, 08:38 AM
    I had charges dismissed but the arrest stayed on my record. I had to hire an attorney to file to have the arrest taken off. State laws can vary on this. The only answer I can give you is from my own personal experience. I have never had an issue with the arrest, a non-conviction is just that. And most schools and employers are only interested in a conviction.

If you are concerned I highly suggest that you go to that city's/county's records and see for yourself what is on your record. It will ease your mind.

Jul 17, 2009, 08:57 AM

Okay thanks. Yeah my pti officer said that my arrest would still be on there but I could take that off in a couple of years or so.

Jul 17, 2009, 09:14 AM
    At least you have the option and learned early in life. I doubt it will hold you back, just bear in mind what JKT said, she's the expert. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2009, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaMan View Post
    Okay thanks. Yeah my pti officer said that my arrest would still be on there but I could take that off in a couple of years or so.

If that's what the PTI Officer said, then that's what I would believe. I would get an Attorney (when the time comes) in order to be SURE.

Jul 17, 2009, 06:12 PM

I know she is the expert I just didn't know if she knew about pti just in case it was exclusive to Florida or something. I was justmakin sure. I just don't want to go through medical school and then find out I can't finish an 8 year journey.

Jul 17, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JettaMan View Post
    I know she is the expert I just didn't know if she knew about pti just incase it was exclusive to florida or something. I was justmakin sure. I just don't wanna go through medical school and then find out I can't finish an 8 year journey.
    Isn't there a medical board you can pose this question to? Can you write to them to inquire and find out what could restrict you from obtaining a license? That might help you feel more sure too.

Jul 20, 2009, 06:22 PM

How would I go about posing this to a medical board?
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 05:55 AM

I am not aware of any State Board anywhere which will give you an advance "opinion" on whether you will qualify for a professional license. They WILL tell you the requirements and "rules."

Jul 21, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I am not aware of any State Board anywhere which will give you an advance "opinion" on whether or not you will qualify for a professional license. They WILL tell you the requirements and "rules."
    She's right, I worded that badly. You should be able to just write to them and ask them to send you their requirements and rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parole Violation; Charges dropped/Case dismissed [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could get some type of advice reference parole violation? It was a misdemeanor charge; no charges were filed; case was dismissed. Will parole be violated possibly or not? Thanks in advance to all who respond!

Charges dismissed; do I reveal for employment purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

This is my first time using this site and was hoping someone can help me with these questions: 1. At the age of 17, I was charged with three misdemeanor offenses in Texas: - Assault - Driving while license suspension; and - Carrying a Weapon (stick) 2. Two months later,...

Both of my cases dismissed [ 2 Answers ]

The Plaintiff requested that both of the credit card lawsuits be dismissed 2 days before the trial on one of them. I believe this happened because the judge asked that the plaintiff bring all the documentation they had for both cases on the trial date. I don't think they really had any. As I have...

Writ dismissed now what? [ 3 Answers ]

OK on Monday after a month of fighting for it my writ was dismissed based on the exemption status in Florida. The money in my bank account was from SS and Wages only. The judge gave me a certified copy at no charge to take to my bank to have my money quickly returned to me. Well I took it to my...

Can property damage charges be dismissed if landlord tries overcharging you? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a bill from an apartment complex I used to live in for $910.74 for carpet damages caused by a pet. the original bill they sent me stated they were charging $1060.74 against my $150 deposit due to Carpet charges: ($1586.67/60 ms (life of carpet) = 26.44x37 ms of life= $978.28) plus...

View more questions Search