Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mammaneeds2know Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 09:34 PM
    Is it legal to serve alcohol to minors (16 year olds) at a house party?
    My sister is allowing my niece to have a party, with alcohol, on her 16th birthday. This, to me is not morally irresposible. She insists that they are going to do it anyway so they may as well be supervised. What is her legal responsibility if any?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2010, 09:39 PM

She would be breaking the law. Heck, they're going to have sex and babies someday, so why not have an orgy while she's at it?

I'd report her to the police.

Will she be driving all the partygoers home that evening, or will she watch them walk out the door and drive drunk?
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 09:40 PM

The legal drinking age is 21. Yes, It is illegal. Just because you don't think it's morally irresponsible for the reasons above, does not mean that the law agrees with you.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Jan 18, 2010, 10:04 PM

She could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of minors, and child indangerment. She would also be the one held responible for anything that could go wrong. Depending on what that is, she could be in jail during her daughters graduation, and then some. Would the other parents be informed as to what she has planned? Anyone of them could call the police, and or their lawyers.
    Tell her that it's more important to be a parent to her daughter than to be her friend. This party could cost her dearly.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 08:48 AM

This is strictly illegal. She is opening herself up to all sorts of criminal charges should she go ahead with this "party". For each child attending the party and consuming the alcohol she would be charged one count per child. Does she have a lot of money in her bank account to throw away on bonding out of jail or hiring an expensive attorney to keep herself out of jail once she is convicted? Sure hope so as she's definitely going to need lots of $$$$$$$$$.

Also, she could be prosecuted as a Sexual Offender and placed on the Sex Offender's list as this would be corruption of a minor and qualify her for this list.

Don't recommend this alcohol party happening at all. Also, the Children and Family Services once they get involved could possibly result in the niece being taken from this household due to the endangerment factor.

Also, how many teens actually die each year of alcohol intoxication or toxic effects of too much alcohol not being used to it in their system? Way too many, way too many. Does she want some teen's death on her conscience for the rest of her life? And possibly MORE jail/prison time for this as well?

Does sis really want to expose herself to all of the ramifications of this "party"? If she does go ahead with the party she's dumber than a rock for doing so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age of minors decide living with which parent [ 13 Answers ]

I want to live with my dad. He says I'm of legal age in Indiana to decide that. Mom says he would have to prove she's an unfit mother. Which one is right? :confused:

Can I serve Alcohol Beverages at a Private Party [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking of having a private party in which I would like to serve Alcohol beverages. Can anyone tell me how I can do so without a liquor license? It will not be a cash bar, however, there will be a bar and a charge at the door to enter.

Minimum age to serve alcohol supervised [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me the minimum age a person can serve alcohol supervised in a members only social club?

Giving alcohol to minors [ 2 Answers ]

I gave alcohol to a couple oif minors on march of 2006 tomorrow I have court and I was wondering will I go to jail or be put on probation? Also if I do go on probation will I still beable to go to bars?

View more questions Search