Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovols Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Cash in Stocks or Continue to Pay off Debt
    My husband was laid off in September of 2007 right after we bought our house.
    It took him a year to find a good steady job that actually brings in decent money. However we took a 20k loss on income.

During the year of unemployment, we racked up more debt. Probably around 10k and add that to the existing 5k.We are both in our early 30's and know that we could wipe away all the debt by selling our stocks. (Not part of any 401k)

That would also allow us to start saving money instead of giving it away. We could potentially save 10k in our first year.

I am not sure what to do... sell or hold!

All suggestions welcome!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 4, 2008, 01:35 PM

Not knowing what stocks you are referring to...

If you have debt that you are unable to pay off from your regular monthly income, you should indeed dip into your savings (in this case your stock investments) to pay the debt off. Think of it this way - you may have an anticipated return on your investment of 8% or so, but the debt is probably costing you a lot more than that, especially if it's unsecured credit card debt. So your best of selling the stock and paying off the debt. Then put yourself on a good budget so that you don't go into debt again, and can start building up your savings again.
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2008, 04:03 PM
    If you are very disciplined financially, I would sell the stocks and become debt free. For me, that's an easy decision. But what you do not want to do is cash out your savings (stocks in this case) to become debt free and then rack up more credit card debt, which would put you in the same place you are today. So to add on to EBaines' comment, you need to be on a budget that you can and will stick to. Otherwise the whole thing is for not.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stocks [ 4 Answers ]

I bought some stock in a small company about 30 years ago. I still have the stock certificates. The company is still in business. They were listed at one time on NASDAQ but were delisted years ago. It appears to be an OTC. I'm trying to find out if my stock has any value or if I can sell it....

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Should I continue or not? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey, I met this guy when I was working in Seattle 2 years ago. I had a boyfriend at that time (for more than 10 yrs) but I somehow fall in for him. He loves me and we have sex, though he has a girlfriend for 10+ years. The thing is, I moved back home, and moved out my boyfriend's place 6...

Debt Settlement and Cash Inheritance [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of debt management for a relatively large amount of debt and still have a couple of years to complete the payoff. I am about to receive an inheritance larger than the debt. I can either have cash or real estate. Which would be the smartest to do?

View more questions Search