Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sherri Malick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 03:55 PM
    My husband died and had credit cards under mine name without my knowledge. Am I responsible for paying the creditors if I didn't sign for the cards?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2008, 06:29 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

This may depend on whether you are in a community property state or not. In a community property state, debts incurred by one spouse can be attributed to the other. It also depends on how your husband opened the account. If he opened them as joint accounts and signed your name to the apps, then he may have committed fraud. If he opened them with you as an authorized user, then you probably are not liable.

Yout first need to pay any debts from the estate. If the estate doesn't cover all the outstanding debts, try paying the ones you are named on first. Any others you can send back the bills marked deceased and see what happens.

For them to collect from you, they will have to prove you are liable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

Received civil summons for unpaid credit card bills [ 5 Answers ]

I received a civil summons stating that I owed $5220.73 to a Financial service that bought a case from a credit card provider. I do agree that I owe the company money, but I do not agree that I owe this amound.. The credit card max was only $1500. Is the remainder from interest? This was an account...

Roommate left his belongings and did not pay his share of bills and rent [ 1 Answers ]

Myself and one other person are on a written lease agreement. Our third roommate was on a verbal lease agreement. He stopped living at our residence almost 4 months ago and left all of his belongings. He will randomly state he wants his stuff back, and we say we want the $700+ he owes us. Can we...

View more questions Search