Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NICOLEOVER Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 08:40 AM
    1099 C - Paying Taxes on Credit Card Debt
    Why do I need to pay taxes on money I owe a credit card company? When I was making payments of $300 dollars , I never received a 1099. I am working with a Debt Management company to pay off my debt credit card companies. I finally was able to pay off over $700 settlement to one of my Credit Cards. I have been informed that I will receive a 1099-C for paying off the company. :confused:
    Pompanomom Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2008, 09:03 AM
    A 1099-C is used to report a cancelled debt. In your case, you probably negotiated a final payment that was less than what you actually owed the company. For example, you actually owed $1,000 but the company accepted as a final payment only $700 and 'forgave' the remaining $300 (you don't have to pay it). So the 1099-C will report the $300 as income to you and in most cases, you will have to pay taxes on that.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Debt cancellation is reported as other income on Form 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Paying off credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Realistically, If you owe a credit card company around $25,000.00 - how much are They going to settle for if you want to pay off the account. Also will a reduction of The debt reflect negatively on your credit score. Thank you

Paying taxes on a 1099 [ 4 Answers ]

I have been working for a couple of companies in the past and have always been on W2 where they match my social security and medicare tax and automatically took income taxes out. However, I have just recently started to do contract IT work for another company. Being Contract work I am on 1099. I...

H1B paying taxes on W2 and 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B status, i.e. I am being paid by my Employer for which I will be paying taxes on W2 Form. I got an opportunity to earn money legally for my services using 1099 form. Am I allowed to pay taxes for the earned income using both W2, 1099 being on H1 B status? I apreciate your...

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

View more questions Search