Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dunnica Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Debt Settlement and Cash Inheritance
    I am in the process of debt management for a relatively large amount of debt and still have a couple of years to complete the payoff. I am about to receive an inheritance larger than the debt. I can either have cash or real estate. Which would be the smartest to do?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 06:27 AM
    I about jumped to say take the real estate... but to best decide, we should first answer:

1. what is the value of the real estate?
    2. what is the average appreciation rate per year for real estate in the area where it is? (If you don't know this, what city is it in?. or better yet, what city and zip code if in the US),
    3. what is the balance of your debt? and finally,
    4. if you are paying any interest on the debt, what is the amount and rate?

Jan 10, 2006, 08:10 AM
    More Information
    Thanks for responding- I really don't know what to do. The value of the homestead is roughly $110,000. My total credit card debt is $33,000. Approximately $22,000 of it has been charged off as bad debt, leaving me the balance in debt settlement. As you may know, debt settlement negotiates payoffs with each creditor and I pay a monthly amount to the debt management company. Sooo, the interest still accrues but I should be able to settle for half of the amount, over time.

The home is in zip code 77901.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2006, 08:19 AM
    With that difference (110k for the property and 33k in debt) I'd go with the real estate hands down.

(And by the way average appreciation of single family homes in Victoria, TX is about
    7.8% per year; above the national average.)

Jan 10, 2006, 04:01 PM
    More to the story
    I think that you are absolutely correct. But I am not in a financial position to keep the property up, utilities, taxes, etc. Well, maybe, but it would be a real stretch. The cash would give me a fresh start. My concern is that receiving the cash might disrupt my debt settlement and keeping the house might keep them off my back. Any thoughts on this angle?
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 03:50 AM
    I feel like a knucklehead for not asking before:o : What is the amount of the cash option?

Jan 15, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Answer
    Sorry, been away for a few days- My share of the inheritance will be roughly $100,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

My two children inherited $30,000 from my fathers estate. I am wanting to know if it is taxable income since I have called the IRS and tax preparers and gotten confilicting information.:confused:

Should I do Debt Settlement? [ 34 Answers ]

We are $65,000 in debt, (unsecured credit card debt)!! We have looked into LAWGISTIX AND SUPERIOR FINANCIAL GROUP. We are very hesitant to proceed because we have a credit score in the 700 range. We are current in all of our payments, never late, and in good standing. BUT, it is getting difficult...

Bankruptcy & insurance settlement, inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

I began the process of filing for bankruptcy - saw a lawyer, did the paperwork, paid him. I'm now in the process of doing the education certificate and other requirements. My car was totaled two weeks ago, and the insurance company will be settling for the total loss -- it's not a huge amount,...

Debt Settlement-What should I do [ 2 Answers ]

I enrolled in a program with Debt Shield about a year ago. I have since ended the program and settled 2 of the 4 cards on my own. The other 2 are with the same company, Discover Card, and on one account they filed suit. I answered the summons and countersued. It was been almost 2 months since I...

Bankruptcy and cash inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

I filed bancrupty on 9/27/05 and will be receiving a cash inheritance around 1/20/06. Will my bankruptcy trustee be able to find out about this? If so, how will he get that information?

View more questions Search