Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    izzyxilo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Enforcing garnishments?
    Hello-

I am new to a law office. We recently won judgment for garnishment in a rent & possession in the St. Louis, MO area. However, the Defendant is part owner of his business, and not only is he intercepting our attempts via mail, he also answers the phone refuses to deal with our office. I'm not sure what to do... any suggestions?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Hello izzy:

You're a lawyer? You're being paid for this service, yet you ask here? What is a "rent and possession"?

excon
    izzyxilo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 02:57 PM
    No, I am not a lawyer, but a secretary doing paralegal work.

This is a serious question, as our office only does some tenant law. Can someone else assist me? Preferably someone who knows what "rent & possession" is?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2006, 03:37 PM
    The business would be given "legal service" normally, and if he signs, the business is still notified.

But this is a question for your bosses who would and should know what to do about it.

After that, they can go to court and find the business in contempt of the court order and order its owners to obey the order or face even possible jail time till they obey.

Also if he is part owner of the business, and it is owned not under a LLC or coporation, they should be able to attach business bank accounts for the money owed also.

But once notified, if they don't comply the entire business can be held in contempt.

But your bosses would and should know all of that, for specific in your state law

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking Account Garnishments [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently surprised that my checking account had been garnished by a creditor for a debt that I owe. I was making payments to the creditor, and then they file for a judgement against me. I don't understand it. Nevertheless, I have a disabled husband, and disabled daughter of which neither...

Bank Account Garnishments [ 5 Answers ]

My bank account was recently frozen by a company for a vehicle I co-signed for with a friend in 1999 who had insufficient credit. It was repossessed without my knowledge until much later :mad:. The car was purchased solely for my friend to use as I had a car;never drove it or rode in it. Both of...

Wage Garnishments [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to stop garnishment of my wages. I purchased some furniture and fell behind in the payments. I have tried to work something out with the debtor but they refuse to make any kind of arrangements. On the bottom of my pre-judgement statement, it states that the plaintiff may file for a...

Child support garnishments [ 2 Answers ]

My husband pays child support to his ex girlfriend for their 8 year old daughter. They were only 17 when his girlfriend had her. His ex and him only dated a couple weeks when he moved out of state. He was informed he had a daughter two years after she was born. We finally convinced his ex to allow...

Enforcing childsupport from Mexico [ 5 Answers ]

Need to force parent to help pay for son. He lives in La Barca Mexico and I live in California U.S. It is only right that the parent in Mexico helps out with his son and he just settled a workers comp case but my son receives nonthing. Any advice on how to get action done. Please

View more questions Search