Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SharonNorman1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2008, 12:21 AM
    Unaware of Judgement
    If a civil and criminal case are tried together and a judgement is awarded for the criminal, are the parties in the civil case liable?

I was unaware of the judgement until I learned that my daughter had a lien on her property. We thought everything regarding the civil case was taken care of when the gentleman won the property that we were disputing. However, we knew the third party was ordered to pay a sum of money, which he did not. We appealed and lost. When I read the appeal today, I saw where the judgement was against all of us. That is not what was stated in court. We never signed anything or given any paperwork. I don't know how long you have to pay a judgement or what to do if you can't pay. This is not our responsibility. The judgement is for 20k.

What can I do? My daughter and I should not owe this. Is there a statue of limitation? Because I just learned of this today, I would like to have this removed from her property.

This was an unfair trial we had a young lawyer and I am thinking that he filed the appeal incorrectly.

I was trying to cut the story short and hope you can understand my questions.

Thank you
    WFG Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 02:31 AM
    You should include where the trial took place, so peoplen can look into the applicable laws.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Normally if a party that was not part of the orgianl trial ( named in the trial) is included in the judgement, you should be able to have it overturned on appeal.

But since there is a valid judgement in place, you can not release the lien unless you get the judgement dismissed. Also in "most" of the US judgements are valid from 7 to 10 years and can be renewed for another 7 to 10 years. So the judgement will stay valid for at least 7 years and up to 20 years normally.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unaware of default judgement /cause of judgement [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, my husband was called by a collection agency informing him of a default judgement of over $8,000 which he had no prior knowledge of. The default judgement was 12/2005. He was told that it was for a credit card he had in 1996. He sincerely believes that he was the victim of identity...

Judgement help [ 1 Answers ]

I just received a civil summons two days ago about a judgement on a discover card account. I found out my husband opened the account in my name without my knowledge. I need to know what steps need to be taken to take care of this. The amount they are asking for we do not have. Is there a payment...

Texas - CC Judgement Can They Put Judgement Against Husband's Property only his name [ 1 Answers ]

Have been sent a summons and contacted attorney. While discussing lump sum settlement they hung up and said they would see me in court. I have tried to call back with no response. Can the judgement in court be put against property that is only in my husbands name?

Judgement [ 11 Answers ]

Three years ago my company shutdown. I went from making a very good living to barely surviving- in a very short period. I was forced to sell my house in order pay my critical bills and sometimes we couldn't even do that. At one point we where even on food stamps. (my wife and four children...

Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6000 judgement on my credit report. I want to pay it off but how do I get the money to pay for it? No one will loan me money with this judgement. Can anyone tell me what to do? Tell me how to approach this what do I do first? I've paid 2500 on the debt but they didn't take it off. That was...

View more questions Search