Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgealva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Wrongful Termination or Slander
    Hello Everyone, :confused:

I was terminated from an employer that I worked for overseas here recently. I was with the company for a year and a half. I was terminated because another employee said that I told him and others to write 12 hours on their time sheets even though they would not work a full 12 hours. I was not in no position to authorize such a thing nor did I ever sign off on anything. When I asked to see the documention that they supposedly had they would not let me see it . And from talk of others there was only one person who made this allegation. Can I sue for wrongful termination or slander ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 23, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Hello g:

Your boss can fire you for any reason whatsoever (well except for a few), so you can't sue him. You CAN sue the person who lied about you, though. The problem is proving it. You're certainly going to need a lawyer, and that probably puts the kaybosh on a lawsuit.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 23, 2007, 08:30 AM
    You said something about overseas so you really need to specify where you worked for us to determine the applicable laws.

In the US, most states are at will states which means an employer can terminate you at any time for almost any reason. The few reasons not allowed are discrimination on the basis of sex, religion, national origin or disability. They are not required to even give you a reason.

So, you don't seem to have a case against the employer. As excon indicated, you might have a case against the person who lied.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongful Termination: Update ~ Where do I go from here? [ 1 Answers ]

This is an Update to this post; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/corporate-law/wrongful-termination-44665.html My son and I had to go to our Unemployment Insurance Hearing. I had appealed the decision after I had been denied my benefits, and the company appealed his after he was approved for his....

Wrongful termination [ 16 Answers ]

My son and I were terminated from our jobs wednesday; Normally I work in the morning shift, but I had requested to have the morning shift off. I received a phonecall on my answering machine in the morning, our employer stated that the place I work had called him, and said I left notes the...

Wrongful termination [ 3 Answers ]

My former employer, fired me for allegedly violating a security rule. I was terminated for plugging a non corporate portable into the Corporate network. I have been using my Macintosh openly, for over NINE MONTHS, in plain sight of all my peers and management and no one ever told me to stop. ...

Does anyone know if this is this slander? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress. ...

View more questions Search