Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikbenwp Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 01:00 PM
    Unemployment insurance
    I recently quit my job, instead of getting fired, so I could work for the same company in the summer.( Different property) I was going to get fired, but asked my boss if I could put my two weeks in and save face with the company, he agreed and after a couple days told me not to come back that they would pay me for the rest of the month.
    So since then I have applied for unemployment insurance, and knowing that quitting a job or even getting fired is hard to get unemployment benefits, but without them I will not survive for the next 2.5 months until my next job starts.
    Do you think going to my old employer and explaining my dilema would help or not? Where I live is a resort town so in a month the whole town basically shuts down so no one is hiring, especially with the lack of snow we have had this year, and the unemployemnt judicater agreed with that, anyway any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 01:11 PM
    From personal experience.. its exceptionally difficult to quit a job and then collect both... and not without a court hearing to determine eligibility.

And generally the two things that will make you ineligible typically is Quiting... or being fired (not laid off, don't confuse the two, they aren't the same).

They can ague and win against payment after firing for many reasons from theft, insubordination and others.

And it is possible to win if they refuse to pay if you quit voluntarily. But I have only seen this once and it there were very compelling extenuating circumstances. I know because I did it. However my case was nothing at all like yours. I had Federal mandates (family related, no I won't detail them) to meet that required me to leave the job and relocate to process. The court agreed with my case that I had no available alternative so I was able to collect my unemployment even though I quit.

What you should have done was get them to lay you off... as a seasonal hire that's common. Many employers do that rather than have to deal with the potiential of the possibility of a defamation suit related to a FIRED blemish on the record. Yeah it's a stretch... but many do it to quietly just to get you out of their hair with as little drama as possible. Particularly if the job is a skilled trade or requires specialized training or experience. Not jobs that only require a warm body that can show up on time. For those the harsher treatment isn't unusual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I was told by my doctor to move to a warmer climate for health reasons. I left my job and moved south and applied for unemployment insurance. I am ready willing and able to work, and I worked up until the day I left. My doctor stated in a medical form required by UI that my hand was bent and...

State Unemployment Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I'm an employer in IL, recently I have opened an office in NJ as well. How do I register myself with the State of NJ for depositing the SUI and SDI.

Unemployment insurance how to apply [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Pa and worked in NJ. I am now laid off - can I apply for unemployment online?

Unemployment insurance [ 9 Answers ]

If I work two full time jobs and get laid off from one would I still be eligible to collect unemployment insurance??

Unemployment Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know how long you can collect unemployment check?

View more questions Search