Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karen67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired,
    I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 3, 2008, 03:27 PM
    They are not firing you because you have illness they are firing you because you missing work and unable to perform the work related task. This is a big difference. Your illness can't prevent you from doing the job.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
    My mom has had Crohn's Disease for a very long time now, and like you, she has to be hospitalized from time to time. She has not been fired from her job yet, but she works for the county we live in. It is very hard to get fired from the county, and they wouldn't fire you for medical reasons.

Are you in a situation, or have a certain expertise, where you can get a county, state or federal job? They tend to be more understanding of medical problems, and usually don't fire on an impulse.
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 3, 2008, 04:48 PM
    I agree with nauticalstar420 certain jobs have strong unions and great benefits. Sick banks, and extended sick leaves. I also a county worker I witness employees who be out for years at a time but what protects us is not the law its our union contracts. You been with the company for 18 years you figure there would be sometime of loyality.

You may have to go on disability.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 05:00 PM
    There is in the US ( did not say where you are at) there is Federal Leave Act, so you should be able to get extended leave time ( not paid) to be off, she will have to pay the full amount of her benefits while off if this is extended time. Now there is limits to everything, so a lot may depend on how long she has to be off, and to what extent it effects her job duties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fired [ 1 Answers ]

I am a salesperson and my boss is attempting to fire me without notice. The company has A process in place to work with someone prior to termination. This process was not followed. Can I do something to force the process?

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

Fired Without Just Cause [ 10 Answers ]

I began my new job 4 weeks ago as a test center administrator. I administer exams ranging from education, to doctors exams. During my time there, my supervisor was acting very funny. She didn't take the flyer down for the job position that was there when I first applied. Her two daughters...

Fired [ 8 Answers ]

I was fired by mail after being placed on suspension ( a disciplinary act that is not sanctioned by union contract) and after filing a harrassment complaint during a FMLA leave. I have no income now, therefore no money to pay a lawyer. Got any suggestions on any of the above.

View more questions Search