Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minisobe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Inspection of the property rented in California
    I d like to know if as a tenant in a month to month contract in California in a townhouse, my landlord wants to inspect the property to check for any damage with a 24h email notice.
    Does CALIFORNIA statute law allow a landlord to inspect his tenant s place whenever he wants even though the contract does not mention any inspection to be done ?
    My landlord threatens me of evicting me if I do not allow him to enter.
    Are my rights being taken away from me?
    Thank you for your promptly response,
    An unhappy tenant
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 08:33 PM
    He is not allowed to enter when you are not there, he is also not allowed to enter without your permission, and he cannot just show up and harass you or force you to let him in.
    minisobe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Does a landlord has a right to come and inspect his property in the middle of the lease even with a 24h notice? I thought inspection happened at the end of the lease when the tenant leaves the property.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 06:27 AM
    Hello min:

He has the right, WITH 24 hours notice, to inspect any time he wants.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Agreed, he owns the property, he should have a right to inspect it. He can't just show up and can't enter while you are away. But you have to be reasonable and allow him access.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction because of failed property inspection [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on a month to month basis with my leaseholder/apt complex. My rent is paid in full and is NOT in default We recently had an housing inspectinon in which the property manager says my dwelling is violation of the landord/tenant agreemant,(too much clutter in home) and they could evict...

California law on property taxes and leases [ 1 Answers ]

Ok here goesI live in California, on 20 acres, the property belongs to my husband nieces and nephew. We have lived here for about 7 years now.:) Now when we moved here the property was getting ready to go into forecloser, we paid just enough to keep the wolves off our door step. For non...

How to file property lien in California [ 2 Answers ]

Our small HOA has one member who has not paid dues for nearly a year. It appears that he (the owner of the property) ia actually living elsewhere, perhaps out of state, and His son occupies the property. We have reason to believe that our notices are not reaching the owner... the son trashes...

30 Day Eviction in California when property was sold [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently evicted from my California home when the property sold. I was given thirty days to move. The real estate agent and the buyer claim they are going to be owner-occupying the property. I've done some research and found out the buyer owns a number of other properties and rents them...

California 1950.5 - Right to initial inspection [ 2 Answers ]

It says under California Civil Code 1950.5 that the tenant has a right to initial inspection of the unit prior to moving out. My landlord notified me of this and I requested on a written form to them to have this done and that I waived the right to 48-hour notice for them to enter (since I'm never...

View more questions Search