Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcraft49 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 06:17 PM
    Shower Pan
    Ok, I've been reading a lot of the questions and answers and still am slightly confused. I set the drain(adjustable) after chiseling away concrete and cutting existing drain pipe(from previous fiberglass shower). The lower flange is slightly recessed below floor level(local plumber advised this)to disallow any pooling. Now here is the first question. Did I install this properly(not glued yet-PVC)? Secondly, do I put the shower pan in first and then mud(pitch), or vice a versa? This has been troubling me for about three days now. Help!:confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 18, 2009, 09:09 PM

What type of pan are you installing: mud, fiber glass, acrylic, etc...

Nov 19, 2009, 07:37 AM
    I am installing a tile shower, using a vinyl liner.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 19, 2009, 08:50 AM

We aren't quite getting the detail I am looking for. Tile shower could mean just the walls are tiled but might be the floor/pan too. Vinyl liner could mean a acrylic pan or just something like Shluter Kerdi or their system. Shower Systems - Schluter-Systems Do you have a picture of what you are doing or a brand name or model for the "liner?"

Nov 19, 2009, 09:38 AM

Okay. I removed the fiberglass shower stall. I am replacing it with a completely tiled shower, i.e. walls, and floor. The foundation is concrete. There is a10X10 hole in the slsab with a 2" drain close to the left side of the hole(apprx. 3/4" from left side). I have cut the I am installing an adjustable drain(beveled edge) and need to know if the leading edge of the lower section of the drain is to be even with the edge of the slab or slightly below it(advsed to do this by local plumber). I am installing a pitched mortar base and need to know if the vinyl goes below the base(some say yes and others say no)or on top of the pitched base(which seems logical for water shed).
    Thanks

Nov 19, 2009, 09:43 AM
    The liner is a sheet of vinyl used for shower pans
    Bljack Posts: 245, Reputation: 28

Nov 19, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Hey crafty,

There needs to be two mud layers. The first one goes under the liner and creates a drainage plane for the liner. It's pitched 1/4" per foot from the furthest point from the drain. The mud around the perimeter of the pan is level, so the slope will be greater than 1/4" per foot form all points closer to the drain. You want your wall tile to come down to a nice and level line. Since this layer will be under the liner, once you establish the height you need at the far point, you can use some lattice ripped to the proper size and tacked around the inside of the base as a screed for the perimeter mud height.

For your mud layer, since you installed the drain base flush with the slab, you will need to use a latex admix instead of water for your preslope base. Your mud is bagged sandmix, which is 3 parts sand to 1 part portland cement, mixed with 1 part masons sand, giving you a mixture that is a 4 to 1 ratio. The mixture is by volume, not weight, so measure each in scoops or shovels, 4 shovels of sand mix to one shovel of sand. Mix with just enough latex so that it is packable. It will be a bit trickier as the latex makes it sticky. The minimum thickness of mud mixed with just water is 3/4", which is why you need the latex instead. For your second med layer, which is your setting bed, you will only use water.

Bond the preslope bed to the slab with a thin mix of modifed thinset. Pack it tightly and slope down to the drain.

However, before that, you want to make sure your framing is correct...

The only pressure treated lumber you can use is for the bottom plate of the wall framing. Do not use any anywhere else. For your curb, you want to use bricks, bonding them to the slab with thinset. Unlike the wall framing, the curb cannot be made with pt lumber on the bottom.

Your wall studs should be planed down to allow for the thickness of the liner. Solid blocking gets installed between the studs to support the liner, and the frond of the blocking gets installed in plane with the shaved down stud. The other option is to fur out the studs but you need to prevent both abrasive wear on the liner from the cement board as well as preven the cement board from bowing out at the bottom from the thickness of the liner which will prevent square and plumb corners.

If you are building a bench in this shower, since it's on a slab, remove it if you framed it out of wood. On slabs, you should build benches out of block and build them on top of your setting bed of mud after the walls are installed. That way they are completely within the water management area. Wood framed benches require special attention to detail and use of surface applied waterproofing membranes applied to the cement board before installing the tile.

Now that all the framing stuff and preslope is out of the way,

Install the liner so that it goes about 8" up the walls (at least 2" higher than the finished curb height) and wraps up and over the curb. If you need to make any seams, do the seams so that the overlap is in the direction of the drainage plane to the weep holes. You may need to chisel out a bit more material in the corner studs for the added thickness of the hospital folds in the liner at the corners.

Once the liner is installed, you then install a moisture barrier to the walls, either 4 mil plastic sheeting or 15 lb roofing felt, from at least shower head height, down and overlapping the liner. Install the cement board, keeping it about 1/2" off the bottom of the liner. Do not fasten it through the bottom 8". Use diamond lath, cut to the length of the curb, folded into a box shape and slip it over the curb. Fold the sides in a bit first so it hugs the curb tightly. A couple tapcon screws on the outside only will hold it to the brick.

Install your drain, threading it to a little more than the thickness of the tile, plus 1.25" for the setting bed of mud. Tape over the strainer to keep cr@p out of it. Place some pea gravel around the drain to keep the weepholes protected from clogging.

Install your setting bed of mud, same as the preslope, but mix with water instead of latex. You will not slope it, it will be sloped because it follows the slope below it. It should be uniformly thick 1.25". The setting bed of mud will hold the bottom of the cement board against the framing and will wedge the lath against the inside of the curb.

Form your curb with masons mix. Once it starts to set up, shave down to the proper shape.

Your plumber won't advise you on the preslope because he probably never does it. Unless you slope the liner, water will pool there and stagnate and smell. Unfortunately, even though it's required by code, it's pretty much never enforced, probably because the reason for it is not understood, and all they really care about is that it does not leak. But hey, they don't need to shower on a biological experiment, do they?

Please post back with any other questions you have if there are any parts of these directions you want me to expand upon or if any other issues come up along the way during your tile project.

Happy tiling :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to take out shower pan and not damage drain [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to remove this old shower pan without damaging the drain. I can not tell from looking at it how it is fastened to the pan or to the floor beneath the pan. When I pry up the pan a little bit, the drain seems to move with it. However, I didn't want to go too far for fear of...

Correct way of installing a vinyl shower pan [ 12 Answers ]

What is the proper way to install a new vinyl shower pan? Is it wrong to screw through the pan and cement into the marine board on the wall side? Won't that cause leaks eventually? I read that nothing should be screwed in below 8" of the bottom of the wall. And is there a special screw that needs...

Proper shower pan install utilizing exsting basement shower drain [ 6 Answers ]

I am remodeling a basement bathroom. I demo'd the shower and its tile to reveal rotted framing. I believe this is due to an improper or (more likely) not existent shower pan -- there was no water proof membrane between the tile/thinset and the framing. Can I build a proper shower pan...

Correct pvc shower drain for sterling #62040100 60" seated shower receptor [ 6 Answers ]

Has anyone installed a sterling 60" seated shower receptor with wall surrounds on a concrete slab. The new unit did not come with a shower drain. there is a hole in the bottom That is 3-5/16" (8.4cm) and it calls for a drilled hole in slab oor foundation of 4-1/2" (11.4cm). the old drain line...

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

View more questions Search