Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doug Crf Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Crate trainning a dog
    My wife just got a 8 week old great dane and we got a crate yesterday for him.
    He seems to not mind being in there.At first when we put him in there he might whine just a tad but when we tell him to stop he does and goes to sleep We have read about crate trainning a little bit.This book did not get too much in depth on crate trainning.
    We are pretty happy when he is in there because when he is out he is a little monster and we have to keep an eye on him every second.
    I am wondering if we should let him nap all around the house like on the kitchen floor and living room floor or should we have him go into his crate for nap time.
    Doug
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2006, 12:19 PM
    One of the problems with an 8 week old is that you can't relax even when they are asleep. They will need to go out within moments of waking up. In cold weather, we keep a coat where we can grab it as we go out the door with the puppy. If the floor is carpeted, you may want to gently pick him up and carry him out. If you are luckily, he will be able to hold it a little longer before he is too big to carry. Putting him in the crate, may wake him up. I would at least leave him out when you can keep an eye on him.

If you do have trouble getting him to go to sleep in the crate, try laying down by it until he goes to sleep. All else had failed the night I thought to try that. It has worked very well for about the latest 10 of 10 puppies their first few nights with us.

Do not let using the crate be more complicated than it is. It is just a safe place for the puppy like a crib or playpen.

By the way, 7-8 weeks is the ideal time to get a puppy. The sooner you get them, the harder it is to teach them things like not biting. The later you get them, the more likely to have problems adjusting to your home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crate training [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my friend has a 5 month-old min-pin, she got him from someone who got exasperated with trying to house-train him because he kept peeing and pooping in his crate. I told her to make sure he uses the bathroom before bed and all that and she has done that but he is still doing it. I thought I'd...

Puppy doesn't like new crate [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy is 11 weeks old, and I've had him since he was 5 weeks old. I bought a carrier for him to sleep in when I first got him, it's made of fabric with padding and a soft bottom and mesh on the sides and ends. He was peeing in and tearing up the thing and it really stinks, so I finally got a...

Crate trainning puppy with cat roaming around [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering what you guys think about trainning our puppy with our cat roaming around him.Whwn we first got the puppy we introduced the pup and cat and they seemed like they were going to do pretty good.they kind of did the nose thing where they bumped noses a few times and then the puppy kind...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

My Dog pees in his crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old english bulldog that is for the most part potty trained. I've had him for 3 months and he hasn't had an accident in the house for a long while. The only place he has accidents is in his crate if there is bedding in it. He can hold his pee all night long if he's sleeping...

View more questions Search