Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xmet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Blade sharpening
    How do I sharpen a 8 inch table saw blade?:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Short answer, with a file or diamond hone. It is important to understand how the teeth on a saw blade are pitched left and right. Get a magnifier glass and inspect the teeth to see the pitch or set. The set creates a kerf so the cut is a bit wider than the blades thickness. You must match the bvlades set perfectly to achieve a good resharpened blade, not easy for most homeowners.
    xmet Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Short answer, with a file or diamond hone. It is important to understand how the teeth on a saw blade are pitched left and right. Get a magnifier glass and inspect the teeth to see the pitch or set. The set creates a kerf so the cut is a bit wider than the blades thickness. You must match the bvlades set perfectly to achieve a good resharpened blade, not easy for most homeowners.
    Thanks.. I found a hardware store that will do it for 4 bucks.. Thanks."X":)
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 05:33 PM
    xmet, you found the easiest solution. I too would pay 4 bucks to have it sharpened.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Thank You for this information -- I'm sure some saw blades are worth sharpening...

And although there are people who are trained by Fowley -- I don't know of any in

The area I live -- Maybe some cities have them...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Most hardware stores have this as a service but $4 is really cheap. My ACE has an old fella that does all their sharpening out of his garage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circular saw blade sharpening [ 8 Answers ]

Any pointers on sharpening circular saw blades, can a 3 cornered file be used, what about setting the teeth. Also how about simple tools for sharpening carbide teeth

Sharpening a miter saw blade [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to sharpen a 10" miter saw blade? Is it easy to do? Or is it easy to mess up :) Kind of on a tight budget so would like to avoid buying a new one if I can. Thanks!

Sears Mower won't start after oil change, blade sharpening & cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

I spent a lot of time sharpening my blade on a 6 month old Sears self-propelled, key start, Briggs & Stratton 6.75 mower (yes I removed it first). While I was doing that I figured I'd clean it up and do an oil change. I tipped it up vertical to get to the blade and clean the underside with my...

Sharpening saw blades [ 6 Answers ]

How do I sharpen saw blades circular saws

Teeth sharpening [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if its possible to get my canine teeth sharpend into points? I haven't got around to asking my dentist yet... Need an answer =]

View more questions Search